Combines JD 12 5l engine

TwinRotor

I drove a 9520 with the 12.5l and all I can say is its not a good engine. I was pulling an 18yd scraper with it which was maxing out the engine. Then I would try to scrape and it didnt take much to lug then engine down and kill it numerous times.

dakota

Maybe they have similar problems as they do with the 8.1l this year. lots of custom harvesters lost engines in their new 2005 equipment.

Unit5

We have a 9400T and this 12.5l engine is fantastic. I'm very surprised to here about these problems. John Deere is probably the best in so far as finding product defects and helping owners get the upgrades. I know they have a DTAC (sp) program to track product defects. Nobody's perfect.

combinejockey

Well I could kill both engines in a cat 637 scraper also so not sure what that proves. Did that mean the cat motors were junk alsoIJ

yeah very good point, anyone can kill an engine, and that makes it a bad motorIJIJIJ

Turk

We have 3 9300 tractors with 4000-5000 hours on them and have had reasonable luck. 2 of them have had to have injectors put in them at about 4500 hours. One of them had some o'rings fail in the injector sleeves and it filled the radiator full of diesel fuel. The second tractor is just coming out of the shop tomorrow from getting injectors and a pan gasket. John Deere basically says if you are haveing problems and are working on the tractor with over 3500 hours, you might as well change the injectors. The mechanic also said he had never had so much trouble cleaning an old gasket off of a pan. He said he spent 5 hours changing the gasket! I guess this is progress. I'm sure most of the injector trouble is related to emission rules. $400 per rebuilt injector sounds horrible, but have you changed any in a power stroke, or any other electronically fired diesel engineIJ I am very happy with the power etc. with this engine.

Rockpicker

We had to change our injectors at around 3,000 hrs on our 9400. Our 9400 is a first year production model. One of the injectors started failing so JD replaced them all and the pan gasket too. JD also paid for the injectors and whole job. Really like the support and service they have shown so far. Also, I think the 12.5 is a good engine. I know several farmers who have made the switch from JD 89xx series to the 9400 and they will all say the power is there. My cousin traded a CIH in for a 9400 and is happy.

budlitesocool

I have a 1998 9400, and at 2700 hours the valves piled up and spent 16000 fixing the piece of crap up and deere would not give us a cent.I heard from a customer service rep(different dealership, old minor hockey friend)that there were many problems with these, but do not admit there is(deere) Our 8870 we have prior was twice the tractor, but we thought was not big enough(though with triples would be almost as big as a 9400. lots of electrical problems. Had a great offer on a TJ450, may consider it yet, cheaper on fuel.

6mm

we got 2 9520s.farm 8000 acres in manitoba.we pull scraper and 48 foot chisel plows.never had a power problem.kinda supid but when we first got it,set our plow at 6 inches deep with 6" sweeps reached 14th gear before it powered out.it also fills our 15 yard scraper with ease.maybe you guys are over ballasted.

TwinRotor

We were pulling in a lower gear going about 2 or 3mph and it still had problems.