Combines beater grate

Erky

Your 9500 must be missing the beater grate curtain or you can't run it in the down position as it hits the walkers. We always ran ours up for that reason. Curtian reduced walker loss in small grains.

little_guy

What is "it" that you say hits the walkers. I always take the front curtain out for sunflowers and put the grate down.

deeredriver

we ran 9600's for some yrs ,,,,ran with the grate down in flowers,,,peas,,and lentils,,,but you should run with it up on everything else.

rosco

I don't think that he is refering to the beater curtains that hang above the walkers. I think that he is refering to an after market "curtain" that some farmers would install under the beater grate. It was attached to the back of the grate and hooked to the back of the concave with little chains. It would hang at about a 45 degree angle forward. If you lowered the beater grate the walkers would probably tear it up. The idea was to deflect grain forward to the front of the precleaner, and not let the walkers "catch" it out of the air on the forward throw of the crank. Other farmers and even some dealers in this area would cut the bottom out of the first step of the walkers so any grain would fall through imediately and not get caught up in the straw. They felt that it improved capacity in crops like barley where walker loss was the limiting factor.