Combines 8820 problem

wheat_whacker

PT, Is the grain you are riding over completely threshed out of the head or is it coming out in pieces of broken headIJIJIJIJ Open concave wide enough so that you don't smash the stems and shatter them. Run the cylinder just fast enough so that you see a few cracks in the tank. I have never heard of a non-adjustable top sieve(chaffer). If you are getting alot of broken up heads then you will definitely flush a lot out..

parttimer

The heads are clean as long as we run the concave close. If we start opening it up more is left in the head. The chaffer is nonadjustable and I checked with the dealer and they said it is what the custom guys use. I hope by going with a new one it will solve the problem. I do not see how we can get more air, when the fan is at 900-1000 rpm, unless the sieve (lower) and the chaffer(top) is not allowing it to flow. Maybe we can see something after we take the top one out. Iwas thinking that we were crushing to much and it was not able to move it - but they did back off the concave. I am leaving at 3:30 to go and help and correct the problem. ANY AND All SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED. Thanks!

Bigsky

Sounds like you don't have enough air. We had a none adjustable chaffer in our 8820, and it did a perfect job in wheat. The one thing you have to remember on the non adjustable chaffer, is that you would have to run approx. 50-100 rpm's faster on the air. A big mistake many farmers do is turn the wind down when some grain is on the ground, when in fact you might have to increase velocity, to seperate chaff and grain.

parttimer

Thanks for the input. I think we need more air but running the fan at 940. I do not know how to get any more air. But we replaced the nonadjustable with a new one from JD yesterday. It seemed to work. We need to fine tune today, but the build up is not there. Back to the air - is there any aftermarket to get more air. I would not think it would need it but I think the original owner some problem with not enough air. Any further suggetsions would be helpful. Thanks!

tj

A couple questions--when your concave is set at zero, what clearances do you have in front and rearIJ Is the concave in good shape--i.e. staight across with square corners on the crossbarsIJ Is your machine a yellow top or a Titan IIIJ

parttimer

The concave is set about at 1, and assume the concave is good since when we bought it they had put it in a few years ago and cut maybe 1000 ac. How can I check itIJ It is a yellow top. I am not sure what you mean about the clearance in the front and rear. How do I check this, could this be part of the problem. After I replaced the undajustable chaffer it seemed like it cleaned up any coming out the back but still putting to much chaf in the tank. Going to fine tune today and see if we can get it right this afternoon. After this I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

tj

checking clearance--Pull the concave up to the zero setting and check clearance on the 3rd crossbar from the front, and the 3rd crossbar from the rear (assuming it has been replaced with a 13 crossbar Titan II concave since that was what was likely available 1000 acres ago--original had 14 crossbars) clearance between the tallest cylinder bar and the concave crossbar should be 1_8"-- thereabouts in the rear, and 1_4" in the front. This gives you a wedging action as material travels thru and a gradual squeeze. As you open the front of the concave up to let material in, this ratio will be somewhat maintained. This should allow somewhat slower cylinder speed, and should help prevent chewing up the trash so badly while keeping grain off the walkers. Another question--do you have filler plates installed on your cylinderIJ If you do, they will contribute to your problem since they hide the front of the cylinder bars and will present problems with feeding trash thru without high cylinder speed. Hope this is reasonably clear--email if you'd like, and we'll try to help.

parttimer

Thanks I will look at this this afternoon. To me it seems that we are grinding alot of the stems, I will e-mail tomorrow. Thanks again.

milo_dave

There was an update kit at one time for the fan. If I remeber correctly one thing that was done was to cut the hole bigger beside the fan to let more air in. The neighbor has an 8820 with the air foil chaffer(non-adjustable) and his does a perfect job in milo

parttimer

It looked like the previous owner had cut it out to allow more air. My uncle has a in-law that is the service manager at a dealer and I will have him call and see about an update kit. With all the praise on the nonadjustable one, I cannot see where this is the problem, but it was better after we put the new one in. It may still be up front and grinding too much. We will try it again this afternoon. Thanks for the help.