Combines 8820 vs 9500

Bigsky

All you will gain from an 8820 to a 9500, is creature comforts, not capacity. A 9500 would be in the middle of a 7720 and 8820 for capacity.

Rockpicker

The Titan II 8820 will almost keep up with the 9600. You will gain everything but capacity going to the 9500.

rosco

I've had an 8820, a 9500, and now a 9610. The 9500 will not keep up to a 8820. It is nicer to operate, and daily service is better, but if you can find a good 9510 in your price range, get it. There are many little things that they improved on in the ten series from the early machines that make it so nice to run. As for the grain monitors, you basically have to calibrate the sensitivity by looking behind the combine for each field, type of crop, or even size of cut, and deciding what is acceptable losses.

Winst

The way I think a grain loss monitor is to be used is this: set the combine to an acceptable loss, then increase speed until you get a loss, then back off. With the monitor system on the 9500, this is not possible. I can't believe a company like JD would be so far behind in this area. I do not farm enough that I really need huge capacity, although it is never a disadvantage. I could get by with a 7720 capacity wise, but the 8820 was no more money so that is what I have. Even if a 9500 is slightly less capacity than an 8820 I think the other advantages would be worthwhile, if a suitable price on trade can be accomplished.

greenstrat

a little advise.. do not drive a 9500 until you are sure you are interested. It will spoil you so bad so fast you will not want to start the motor on the 88. They are so comfy to run it is more like an office job than anything. happened to me.. gs

rf

I had an 88 model 7720 and traded for a 97 9500. Its true the 8820 will have more capacity than the 9500 but there is no comparison in comforts and additional control features in the two series machines. If you buy the 9500 you will need t invest in metric wrenches.

greenstrat

righto on the metrics.. at least you won't wonder if some of the bolts are not. I realize this machine was introduced 16 years ago, but it is new to me and I can't believe it is so easy on me to run. gs

Augers

I personally think you are on the wrong track when it comes to a speed sensor, coupled with a grain loss monitor. When it comes to any combine there are acceptable losses and losses that are unacceptable. Depending on the crop there are losses that you can live with. This is the point that you set the grain loss monitor. When the speed increases, your loss increases, unless you are in an area of lower yields. Then you can increase your speed with the same loss. In heavier yields and hard thrashing conditions you will slow down, or you will lose more grain.

trun

I think you dont understand the concept.You travel the speed. You adjust to acceptable loss.You set your grain loss monitor and drive to your monitor not your monitor to your speed