Combines Increase the power of your 8 1 and your 7 6 engine on your combine or tractor

Ed_Boysun

Sure is considerate of JD and their engineers to spend the extra money to build the cooling systems and power train components large enough to take the strain of the extra HP. Saw quite a lot of that in the sixties with bolt on turbo's, propane injection, turned up pumps. Evidentally none of the manufacturers spent the extra money then, as cooling and drive trains didn't take it so good. Ed in MT

Deerebines

My thoughts exactly Ed. My 9600 plays hell now staying cool the way it is on a 100+ degree day with no wind cutting wheat. That's all I need.....a chip to boost the hp by changing pump timing or rpm power bands and then watch the s.o.b. run red all day!! NO thanks...............it has plenty of ponies right now to tear it up the way it is. Take Care Ed Rich

JoJoMac

Deerebines, Many moons have passed but I recall a day back in the 70's I was cutting wheat in central Kansas not far from the Nebraska line. The A_C was out on the 760 I was driving (herding or aiming was more like it) and it got up to 108.(That's F) When I got back home I was told it was'nt that hot,because out there it's a dry heat. Yeah, well so is my oven. Dealers like it when customer_owners turn up the HP on tractors and combines. None of that inconvenient warranty paperwork to fill out. Just a 33 cent stamp for the bill... Joe

Ed_Boysun

Once again the wisdom of the engineers shines through. I've always thought it was considerate of them to place the engine right next to the operator. That way you are comforted all day long by the purr and the warmth of the diesel. The only possible better place for an engine is camouflaged down under and amongst the seperator like the early Masseys were. Ed in MT

VAfarmboy

Only advantage is that at least you can see if the engine is on fire! A couple of weeks ago down here a JD 9400 burned up, and the guy driving said he did not realize the thing was burning until he turned around at the end of the field and saw the cloud of smoke. Apparrently it had a diesel fuel leak, and the saturated soybean dust got to burning. By the time the fire dept got there the entire thing had burned up.

greenstrat

neighbor had a small fire under the motor of a 6620 and all it burned the oil drain hose in two but only managed to smolder and the guy didn't notice anything till the motor siezed. (no, he didn't have prolong in it) Crank was welded to the bosses. Boat anchor, now.