Combines 9500 or 9510 is there that much difference

Bundy

Go for a 9500 built from '96 onwards. ie, air seat, data centre, extra 2 lights beside the cab standard. There are a few different horsepower configerations of that model. Go for the one with at least the 215hp I think it was. There is one bigger but not sure the specific's anymore. The 9510 have a few extra bells and whistles both in the cab and around the machine. ie Rear lights and sieve lights, different adjustment on the sieves, an "improved" concave and different tacho in the cab so you can view 2 functions at once. You will probably gain more out of learning to set the combine up well, then you will out of buying the latter model machine. I found our 9500 a dog when I first got it (coming from a TR85) but once I learnt how to set it up and use it properly that view has now changed. I can now happily match it with machines, which on paper are suppose to have much more capacity than the 9500, this pushing a 30ft head in 30 - 40 bushell wheat, skip row sorghum and chickpea. And yes that is without throwing grain. I even had the contractor out checking behind my machine because he was wondering the same thing. The 95xx machines are very different to use, compared to the 9600 or the older side cab models. The big things to remember are: set that grain loss monitor well and drive to it. A walker machine should aways throw grain from the walkers first if it working to capacity. 9500 have a very bad habit of overloading the sieves first if not set up properly.

greenstrat

so tell me how to set it 'properly'IJIJ I always thought it was kind of common sense, but I am open to any ideas. GS

Bundy

I agree with you, it is common sense, but sometimes it can be a bit hard to think outside the square when setting these machines. Take a look at the example of the following problem that I kept running into, the the logic I was using to try and rectify it, and tell me how you would change the machine. If your sieves were over loading with the following settings in wheat and the walkers were all over the place in the grain loss, after playing with the settings for some time with ground speed no better than 6km_hr in a 30 bushell crop with a 30 ft head without sending the grain loss monitor off it's brain. Drum - 600 rpm (was trying to reduce the speed to lighten the load on the sieves) Concave - 1 to 2 (got to keep it closed enough to stop from unthreshed heads getting through plus it was throwing grain in the walkers as well acording to the monitor) fan - 1150 or better (Trying to keep the air into the area to try and keep some extra MOG out as you have the sieves overloading) top sieve - over 3_4 open or wider, but had started at about 1_2 open (trying to catch some of that extra grain that keeps coming through over the sieves on the current settings) Bottom sieve - anywhere between 1_4 open and 3_4 open (trying to clean up the sample or stop overloading the returns) what would you doIJ

greenstrat

Hi again! I will tell you right now, I have a 9500. I got it after last years harvest and I used to run a SH 6620. So, not having any idea at all what to do with the new one since it's cyl. turns slower RPM to get the same fpm on the circumference, the cleaning fan apparantly has to turn much faster too, and now you have a precleaner that I have no idea at all what to do with, (which is why I asked YOU how to set this thing!!) so now I would say this: Seives AND walkers overloadedIJ Only one thing I can think of, slow down. 30' may be a little wide for a 55" machine. One more thing, I am guessing, since I have not run wheat for about 30 years, and that was with an old 410 and a 14' table. I have been gone so I just saw this tonight, sorry.. GS

Bundy

No worries, Obviously what I have to say is for wheat in particular but gererally works for most crops in theory. After some advise from other operators and stuff I have picked up over the last 5 or 6 years I now go in with the following settings when harvesting wheat. In the drum area: Concave inserts are a must in the front of the concave right across. Then two on each edge just behind the front row, where the higher load comes across the concave from larger platforms. This may seem against all logic as you would think that if you cover up area's of the concave you would reduce capacity, but this does work. Concave: Open it up as far as you dare, I usally run between 3 to 5 (obviously checking frequently on the walkers to ensure that heads are not being missed while setting up) Drum: I now run at 750 - 800rpm, balancing between the concave opening. (ie wider the concave faster the drum to ensure all heads are threshed with no cracked grain, but still with the aim of running it as slowly as possible so not to overthresh the straw and create extra MOG. Be aware though field conditions change during the day and night and so to will the settings, to get the best performance out of these thing be prepared to be constantly adjusting both drum speed and clearance. Pre-Cleaner - I have it just cracked enough to allow clean grain through, ie grain width open. If thing are going pretty well (seperating easily) then I will crack it open a bit more Top Sieve - About half open Bottom sieve - similar, obviously you will need to adjust this depending on sample. Chaffer - half to 3_4 open Fan - 950 - 1050rpm All of these settings are approx and will take some fine tuning, especially on the sieves, but the most important thing is to get the walkers working far more efficiently by getting more material back up on them, and lightening the load on the sieves and returns. Other add-ons you could also try are paddles on the end of the center two augers under the concave to spread the returns more evenly across the whole seperating area. I have also even seen some people split the adjustment on the pre-cleaner so you can close the back half completely so it acts as a mini shaker pan, like the NH machines and open the front half up to allow extra wind and take a bit extra grain early in the seperating process. Obviously there are also the logical things, like ensure the rear axle is set in the bottom position to raise the backend of the machine a bit. Ensure all your curtains are in and in good shape on the walkers. And finally check your wear on the concave and rasp bars and all other wearing areas on the machine. The 95xx's have far more capacity then many realise, particularly if you harvest as high as practical to reduce the straw load. And as such should nearly match a CTS as they both have almost identical seperating area's, but with much lower fuel consumption then the rotaries. Obviously the lower you cut the load on the walkers increases expedentially, and this is where the CTS comes into it's own. Try these, they may not make an instant change but once you get the feel for these settings they will definatly improve your performance. Cheers Bundy

greenstrat

Thanks.. I usually pick only dry (sometimes too dry) corn which has never been hard to set for, and soybeans that are usually a little too green. I don't think the paddle idea is going to help me, because my machine is a leveler and gravity is my freind there. Makes sense to bar off the first couple of bars in the concave to get separation without dropping trash and all through to the shoe in wheat. Maybe even beansIJ Used to do it in the old days. I still have a set of fillers for my first machine which was a brand I will not mention here. GS

Bundy

That may be a good thing as the deere ones are very expensive!! My tip is buy one if you have too and then take it down to your local engineering guy, (or anybody with a folding machine) and get them made up yourself. As for using them in beans, I now only take them out for cleaning and thats it. (even in Chickpea which is very sensitive for cracking) They are in all the time for me. I have to update the concave this year before harvest and am thinking about doing a permenent mod to it instead of worring out them dropping out if not installed properly. Hope this helped, Cheers Bundy

greenstrat

Thanks, any help will be welcome. Most guys around me have pulled every other wire out and think that is the cat's meow, which would be the opposite of doing this. GS

Bundy

I have never cut corn or soybeans so I can't comment, but I do know this has worked for me in cereals and pulses and if it helps you also, all the better. Cheers Bundy