Combines 9600 engine gear case seal

deputy_dog

Basic problem in 9600,ground up rubber, (like old tires) is the drive coupler that bolts to the flywheel.the engine gearcase has a stub shaft that is splined into the coupler. If the oil is dark it is engine oil and if it is clearer it is hydralic oil.The engine gearcase will have to be RandR for access(aprox 8 hrs)if your are in there for the price do both the engine seal and the gearcase seals,both have up graded seals. hope this helps...:)

Turk

Thanks for the info. I think I can finish up with it and I'll bring it in this winter and get it fixed. I did get the starter fixed though, a brush had hung up in it. Poor ole girl is starting to show her use, I wish I could buy a new one like it for what I gave for it!

greenmachine

What you cant make money farming :) Going to be a tough one for many.. We ended up not doing too bad, but we sure wont be buying anything new, or anything all for that matter...

davedan

I bet anything its hydraulic oil, reason being the input shaft seal on the gearcase is the same cheap single wiper seal that is used on the gearcase output seal where the U-joint is. This seal, due to engine heat build up inside the flywheel housing, hardened and started to leak. Its not hard to replace but its just getting the gearcase out to do so. I had to replace the torsional drive on back of the motor mounted to the flywheel because the oil had started to break it down. Make sure you use the right tool to install the rear crank seal and sleeve or youll be sorry. Deere never had an update on the gearcase seal, my first one lasted about 6000 hrs. Good luck friend.

if i were you while i had all that apart too, i would replace the input stub shaft in the gearcase. I have seen some of these cause problems to make the seals leak. Only want to pull that gearcase off once. Shaft is alot less expensive then that coupler, and that rubber coupler will not tolerate any oil