Combines 9600 Problems with fire and stopping up Please Help

snowman

CHECK THE DRIVESHAFT UNIVERSAlS ON BOTH ENDS. I HAVE CHANGED THE ONE IN THE GRAIN TANK 2 TIMES IN 400 HOURS ON MY 9500. I GREASE THEM EVERY 100 HOURS NOW.THE BOOK SAYS EVERY 400 HOURS.

99_9410

Sounds like the fire is starting in the tube that runs under the grain tank. I keep that blown out because I've heard of fires starting there.

erky

The fire in that area is a common problem with the 9000 series. On some yrs there was a plastic shield around the countershaft that filled with dust and chaff and caught fire due to friction or if no shield then just a biuldup would have friction against the shaft and start fires which will appear in the walker area and burn the paint in the hopper. Perhaps someone will respond that has had fires but there has also been the thought that sparks can be generated from the header clutch. Sorry but can't help on problem 2. EJB

rimrocker

I have had trouble plugging up behind the augers under the concave. JD make a kit that you clamp on to the cross shaft that goes over the sieve area. This helps keep the chaff flowing. You could just clamp a 1 1_2 piece of angle iron to the cross shaft. Hope this helps you out.

bh

Ditto on the universal joints. My fire started behind the gearbox that is behind the cab air filter. A couple of days later I got a vibration that was coming from the universal joint at the lower end of the driveshaft running through the grain tank. I'm sure the failing u-joint caused the fire earlier. Be sure to keep the area behind the gearbox described clean, including the driveshaft tunnel behind the cab. Hope this helps.

ttheg

If your plugging is right before the chaff hits the screens, between the end of the augers and the screens, we have had this problem in Safflower. We tried concave blocks in the rear of the concaves to help carry chaff up to the walkers. This helped sometimes. What cured our problem was changing the precleaner screens to 1_8 inch round hole. It created more air carring up and we never plugged again.

taz

Thanks for your help! Do you remember what this kit was called or can you tell me a little more about itIJ Our dealer isn't sure what I'm asking for...

taz

You guys really know your stuff, no one in this area had ever heard of that problem but sure enough, we found the remnants of the tube you describe. Most of it had already burned and we cut the rest off. Does anyone know if I can safely run it without the tube as long as I'm careful to keep that area blown out or should I have the tube replacedIJ Thanks again for all the help!

rimrocker

The parts number is H137816 and the kit is called secondary countershaft stripper. The kit consists of two square shafts that are bolted to the countershaft. When I had trouble I didn't have time to wait for the kit. So i just hose clamped a piece of angle iron to the countershaft. I know this doesn't sound like it will work but I haven't had any trouble since.

JDJenks

i have seen a 9610 with the primary countershaft cracked, and that caused the friction to start that fire in the tube, but it still drove the whole machine, so check that out good.