Combines INFORMATION

tbran

dear expert : N 5-6-7 were circa 78. You can find a few 76 77 preproduction models around. The N5 had lower hp and a portion of the cage - processor - blanked out. Otherwise almost identical. The 6 had more hp and the 7 had a much bigger cube engine. Each had an increase in grain bin size. 200 and up to around 300. The N6 stuff could be added to the 5 for identical sep inches. The R40-50 came out in 87-88 and had a diff. cage _ cyl bar assy - the P3. The R60-70 followed soon thereafter. The R42-72 were introduced in '92. This isn't quite specific enuff to make you a Gleaner expert but is simply a general gleaner excerpt - dear me....nite nite...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dmeyer

The R series had the air cooled motors. lots of HP and torque.

Harvester

I would recommend talking to your dealer about making the 1183 cornhead work. It can be and has been done I have seen, but can't tell you what specifically is involved. The 800 AGCO head may or may not fit without modification. There were 2 versions that you can look for. Check the serial plate on the header, located on the left side of the head. If it is an 800C model, that means it is made to fit the Gleaner and MF conventional combines, which have the same feeder hook-up as your 8780XP, and so it will hook right up. You may have to change a few plates for filling in the width difference, and since yours has lateral tilt, the upper beam of the header may have to be moved, which is done with bolts and pre-drilled holes, so no cutting or welding. If it is a straight 800 head, then it is made for the Gleaner rotary. The header frame is made so that your MF will hook up to it, and the feeder opening can be easily adapted to fit your Massey, but the auger will be different. But you can simply remove some of the retractable fingers I would think, and cut some of the flighting to make it match the 8780XP, rather than buying a new auger through AGCO for it. I've had to change some of these back and forth from lateral tilt to non and once from the 800C on a conventional to the Gleaner rotary before when a neighbor wanted to use the head we had on a C62 on his R62.

s

If using an 800 head built for a conventional, make sure you remove some of the outer fingers, and install a filler kit for the 8780 (part n 71377297). The 800 head that is built for the Gleaner Rotary will require the auger to be changed and the throat to be opened up. The opening for the Gleaner Rotary is narrower, so fingers would need to be added (not removed as mentioned above). There is no way to add fingers on the auger, and I have never seen or heard of one that has been modified. I would recommend looking for an 800 conventional header, or a MF 9850 head, which is the same thing.