Combines AC 8550 possibly a cat engine repower

Gpurrs

I get through there fairly often I'll have to check it out. Sounds like a waste of a good engine to me.

lucky1468

What are the bad points of the 8550 there is one close to us that can be bought real cheap.But would we be getting any thing other than some thing to work on. I have heard the engines where a week link.How hard would it be to put a 8.3 cummins in one.

Illinois_Gleaner

I was just there Wed. and they didnt have it then. They had someone coming in to look at the 9100 deere they had,maybe they traded it in on that one. IG

Silver_Shoes

The 731 is as good of an engine as any, the only down side I can think of is if it does need repair as all engines will need at some point, it may not be as economical to rebuild. But to say that it is a weak link is incorrect. We had an 8550 and currently still have a 4w305 and they were and are both good tractors. The weakest link on the 8550 would be the universal joints, I dont recall how many hrs you could run until replacement was neccessary but it did seem to be the weak link of the tractor. The 305's articulation was redesigned and we still have never put a u-joint in it. Good transmissions, heavy differentials, and a large engine, these tractors were a beast in their days. I am thinking it has a 12mm injector pump which if you wanted some serious power, all it would take is a little tweaking.

venturis40

we used to have a 7580 that was the one with the overwound engine our annual repair bill on that junker made the payments and then some on our versatile other than the 7580 engine i think both had u-joint_cv-joint problems mainly the CV-joint was running at too high an RPM i think they slowed down the cv-joint in the 4W series but most of the 4W's in my area have had stafts break in i believe it was the transmission, same shafts in both the 220 and the 305 august wieser rosholt, sd

NDDan

We sold a lot of these. Engine is destoked and depowered big time for the ag application. Much larger wet clutch and mainshaft than any other Allis ag transmission. Weak point of trans was lube to rear spline. This was cured sometime around intro of 4W305 by removing a positive seal in favor of a lube ring that allowed oil to spline. Main thing that ever took down engine was excess use of ether during cold starts which broke piston rings. Top drive shaft with CV joint needed regular grease. Operators that keep them greased had no problem while others would take them out regularly. 4W305 slowed that shaft by approx 1_2 and eliminated the CV joint on both shafts. These tractors had PTO standard equipment and three point hitch an option. These tractors worked very well for us but are becoming just to small for most operators around hear anymore. The smaller 4wd's 7580,4W220 were about the same hp as large 2wd or FWA tractors and worked well the guys that took good care of them and most of all didn't pull them to death.