Are Pittsburgh Tools Any Good

Earl

Are Pittsburgh tools any good when compared to Harbor Freight tools? It looks like I might be able to save a few dollars, but is there a risk?

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Not sure I get the question fully...as Pittsburgh hand tools ARE HF tools.

Pittsburgh is just one of HF store brands.

Guessing you mean as compared to their "non branded" junk they sell for a few bucks...then offer Pittsburgh for 10-15 dollars for example.

Absolutely move up to Pittsburgh. The quality is clearly higher - the dollar crap HF sells is basically single use items, and even then might not handle the job.

They now have Icon - next step up from Pittsburgh...personally not worth the price point step up to me.

This applies to their non power hand tools. Dont think they make anything in Pittsburgh with power (Thats Chicago Electric only I think). Pittsburgh hand tools are on par with Kobalt (Lowes house brand) or Husky (Home Depot) or modern craftsman hand tools (Lowes, Ace and other hardware stores).

I suspect if you dig deep enough, you will find each of these brands share a common source of manufacturer and components in China. You pay for the "warranty" and distribution channel. Pittsburgh is a lifetime warranty with exchange and HF isnt going away (unlike Sears) or going to demand proof you bought it from them (Lowes on Craftsman).

Rickinohio

Farm Hand
Are Pittsburgh tools any good when compared to Harbor Freight tools? It looks like I might be able to save a few dollars, but is there a risk?
I have been using there sockets for a couple years with no problems but I don't use them every day like a master mechanic would