Automation systems

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
The pandemic made me realize just how quickly my workforce could be here one day and gone the next. Even though I'm not running a large operation, I still can't do it all alone. I've been skeptical in the past, but I think it's time for me to look into automation. So if you've incorporated automation into your livestock care or into your cultivation practices I'd like to hear about it. I'm not sure where to start.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I automate a few things in my greenhouse. For example, the windows open when the room reaches a certain temperature and the fans start blowing if I need to decrease the humidity levels. Try to automate routine tasks if you can. I'd start there.

MartyR

Farm Hand
I've tried automating their feeding schedule, but that led to a ton of waste, so I stopped. I know other farmers who have done well with it though. @The Big Cowhuna, have you thought about using a drone to check on your herd? I know that's not something you can automate, but it would still save you time.

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
@MartyR, that's a good suggestion. I'll look into that and see what's available. I bet they're priced pretty high right now though. It seems like anything with a computer chip has skyrocketed.