Backyard poultry

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
It is enjoyable to watch a baby-chick grow into an egg-laying egg, and once way to achieve this is by starting a backyard flock. Have you ever considered raising ducks, guinea fowls, geese, chicken, and turkeys all under one enclosure?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I have raised chickens, ducks and guinea fowl together with no problems. Geese are very aggressive, and though we've had geese, I never raised them with chickens, ducks and guinea fowl.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Did you have males and females of each variety all together, RichZ? Did they try to mate each other? I've heard that the females can get hurt when that happens, so I keep a close eye on them, but none has shown interest over the years. I've had ducks and chickens and all were allowed to roam, but pretty much ignored one another. The ducks stayed near their pond and the chickens were more intent on scratching the ground for food. They each have separate housing spaces though.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Did you have males and females of each variety all together, RichZ? Did they try to mate each other? I've heard that the females can get hurt when that happens, so I keep a close eye on them, but none has shown interest over the years. I've had ducks and chickens and all were allowed to roam, but pretty much ignored one another. The ducks stayed near their pond and the chickens were more intent on scratching the ground for food. They each have separate housing spaces though.
The chickens, guinea fowl and ducks all pretty much ignore each other. So do the geese, unless one of the others get in their way, which is rare. And even then, the geese just chase the others, they never hurt them.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
Interesring about geese. I don't think I know anyone who raised them. What's the purpose of geese? Is it for the meat?
We raise chickens, the kids love picking them out from Tractor Supply each year.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Geese are raised for meat and/or eggs. We didn't raise them for either, we just liked having them around. They act as great watchdogs. They make quite a ruckus of someone they don't know shows up at the farm.