Combines Balancing the Cylinder

tj

Suggest you install 2 very free turning bearings in a stand, side-by-side with about 1_4" distance between them. Old, large, electric motor bearings work very well for this.Turn down an 18" piece of 2 1_2" shaft on one end so it just fits inside the drive splines. This shaft will lay between the bearings at the drive end, and if you leave the bearing on the left end, you can use your workbench to support that end. To static balance, clean all areas as well as possible, then determine that you have a heavy area. This area will roll to the bottom side, or will balance exactly at the top, as well. Once you've found that area, turn the cylinder 90 degrees so the heavy spot is parallel to the ground and add weight on the opposite side until the cylinder hangs stationary. When the cylinder is balanced, you should be able to roll it in very short increments with very little carry thru or rollback. Also, very little force should be required in order to cause it to move. I actually use two of the bearing stands and also leave the bearing on the left end of the shaft. This allows for even more freedom of movement, and when balance is correct you can sometimes make the cylinder turn by blowing on it with an air hose even though there's quite a bit of inertia to overcome. Hope this is clear.

tbran

Solid rotors have one main problem. If you twist off a bar attach bolt..... a better solution would be a pent roof or shield over back up bars so nothting would lodge in there. A small open area left for attach hdw. would be insignificant in over all weight if there was a build up. Thank goodness we never have had any major problems in this area as what you describe. Maybe its because of mother in law method: I know that jokes gettin old but its best I can do at the moment... Merry Christmas...tbran

Dan

Tim, Thanks for lightening up on MIl jokes for my ribs were getting sore. Great idea on teepee type baffle or whatever on back side of bar. I have to add it to great idea list. Merry Christmas to all. Dan

gaffer

Dusty; Did not find the article on balancing you wanted. The author was Dave Schadlich of D-Alta Mechanical (403) 533-2469.