Barn cats

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
We had a barn cat show up last night. She looks to be pregnant. Of course we are going to keep her. Is there anything I need to do special because she is pregnant?

Winknotes

I wouldn't think so except normal stuff like make sure there's water and some food. Don't know what condition your barn is but I'm assuming she'll find a secluded place to have her babies.

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
I'd give her blankets and a box of some sort to keep the kittens all in one place. Of course, taking the cat to your vet would be a good thing too.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Others given great advice also slowly let cat see you from distance and soft tone in your voice, food certain time of the day.

Paul

Paul

Farm Hand
I agree with those who have commented above. Give her a box and some blankets to nest in if she'd like. She'll probably find a secluded spot to have her kittens, and you may not see them for a couple of weeks. Just let her and her kittens be for a while. She will be protective of them, so it's best not to go looking for the kittens after they're born.

Harmony

Harmony

Farm Hand
Give her a warm place to nest and have her kittens. Try to give her canned as well as dry food. Some recommend kitten food as a good option for a pregnant cat because it promotes growth. It wouldn't hurt to take her to a vet for a wellness checkup if you can catch her.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
She is actually letting us pet her. It makes me think that she was dropped off! I never thought about feeding her kitten food. I'll look into that. I've set up a kitty condo in the corner of the barn.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
The advice others gave you is great. If she's letting you pet her, over time, see if you can pick her up. If she lets you, a vet visit would certainly be a good thing. And neutering her after the kittens are weaned (as well as neutering the kittens) would be great.

We've always had barn cats, and they often end up being house cats. Luckily, my 5 dogs love cats. right now we have 2 house cats (both former barn cats) and 2 barn cats.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
Rich, I've actually got her sitting in my lap. She won't met me pick her up though. She looks healthy enough. We have 3 house cats already, she will probably end up in there too.