Becoming a homesteader

Riin

Riin

Farm Hand
My goal is to become a homesteader. It’s still quite a far target to me as I just started my farm. I wonder how many homesteaders here and how challenging do you guys think it is?

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Number things to consider for example...income,what your long range plans,your age,region also the type of weather.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
I'd say that depends on the definition of "homesteader", and how involved a person wants to (or can) become (and how fast).

From growing up on a hobby farm/homestead I know there can be a lot of work -- especially when the weather isn't cooperating and the animals aren't getting along (or there's some other problem that has to be solved...like predators),but there's also a very tangible sense of accomplishment when the crops are harvested, the animals are processed and you're sitting down to enjoy a meal that you grew/raised (wholly or mostly) off your own land.

It's also a fast way to learn to be frugal, and how to reuse or re-purpose items ...and gain an appreciation for just how much needs to be learned just to survive. ....and moving to a very different region can mean (re-)learning a lot to adapt to the new environment.

Riin

Riin

Farm Hand
I'd say that depends on the definition of "homesteader", and how involved a person wants to (or can) become (and how fast).

From growing up on a hobby farm/homestead I know there can be a lot of work -- especially when the weather isn't cooperating and the animals aren't getting along (or there's some other problem that has to be solved...like predators),but there's also a very tangible sense of accomplishment when the crops are harvested, the animals are processed and you're sitting down to enjoy a meal that you grew/raised (wholly or mostly) off your own land.

It's also a fast way to learn to be frugal, and how to reuse or re-purpose items ...and gain an appreciation for just how much needs to be learned just to survive. ....and moving to a very different region can mean (re-)learning a lot to adapt to the new environment.
Oh yeah... for or me maybe the weather is a bit of the issue. Autumns come early here and springs don’t always come on time, (but it depends, like last year we had heavy snow until late March but this year we almost don’t have any heavy snow, just keep raining). Basically, the weather is just random.

Thanks for sharing your experience! That sums up what I have been thinking of as well! I usually have a simplistic lifestyle. I buy only what I need and use what I must. Still not a completely simplistic lifestyle, which I don’t think there’s a need for right now. But I understand what you are talking about. I will be aware of the challenges I’m going to face. Thanks for the tips!