Best Way To Clear Land

Malcolm

What is the best way to clear land when it's mostly shrubs and small trees? I'm thinking about the cost as well as the amount of time it will take to complete 20 acres.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
If I,I would find bulldozer operator.

Breadtrk

Breadtrk

Farm Hand
Your time and equipment available VS. hiring a pro and having it done in a week.

Have you thought about buying a small dozer at auction, using it, then cleaning it up, service it and resell it?

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Depends on what you mean by "small trees" ... a skid steer on tracks might work or you may be better off with a bulldozer

Then again, if the "shrubs" can be bush hogged, you'd only be left with the trees to deal with

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
The workload of clearing up small trees can always be underestimated. Well, I agree with Qapla that it really depends, indeed. But small trees are hassles sometimes and if you don’t feel like you have the time for that after consideration, hiring someone to do it for you is not a bad alternative.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
Have you gotten a quote to hire it out? Do you have extra time or friends that can help? I would compare the price versus the pain in doing it on your own.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Depending on the type of small trees and what size "small" really is, you may be able to sell the trees and let that person clear the land for you. 20 acres may have enough trees to make it worth it for someone to harvest them.

Be careful if you go this route as many tree guys have a attendance to leave a mess behind - make sure you get in writing what they will do and how much they will pay. It may be, to get the land properly cleared, you may have to find someone who will do the clearing in exchange for the wood - you won't get any money this way ... but it won't cost you any money, time or sweat if you can work this out.