Bush versus pole beans

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
This year I'm going to plant pole green beans. I've heard they take up less room. They are also easier to pick. I hate bending over the bushes of beans to pick them, it's a back breaker. Anyone try pole beans?

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
We planted pole beans for the last couple of years. They take up so little room. They literally grow right up the fence. We grow cucumbers this way too. You don't have to bend over the bean plants to pick.

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Yep, I like to plant them as part of the Three Sisters - corn, pole beans, and squash. The corn acts as a nitrogen fixer for the soil and becomes a steady post for the beans to climb. The squash grows along the bottom and helps to block out weeds from the sun, so they eventually wither and die. Plus squash has prickly leaves which help deter pests.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
Wait... you plant all 3 together? Now that is something I have never heard of. I would love to hear more about it. So the beans grow up the corn?

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
That isn't something I've ever heard of either - 3 sisters. I'm going to have to look into that. That sounds pretty impressive. It also sounds like it would take less room in the garden.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Just did a simple Google search for "Three Sisters - corn, pole beans, and squash" and it returned a plethora of links to discussions and descriptions of this type of gardening ... who knew