Butchering Durocs

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
I had a butcher set up to take my pigs, but he's not taking small orders anymore because the pandemic set him back. I guess my wife and I are going to do it ourselves. My plan is to shoot them, butcher them, freeze the meat, then...what do I do with the carcasses? I intend to use every bit of the pig that I can, but there's bound to be some leftover bits since I don't have a bone grinder. Should I burn the rest of it?

MartyR

Farm Hand
When I was growing up and we harvested livestock, we gave our leftovers to a wolf preserve. I bet it would be fine to burn what's left, but it will probably be wet and difficult to burn up at first. You might have to let it dry out first. Butchering is messy work, so be prepared for that. Make sure you have the proper tools on hand like a bone saw.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Is this your first time? I'm trying to remember your background and how you got started, but sometimes I mix people up. If it's your first time ever butchering an animal and processing it, then I'd try to get some help from someone who knows what they're doing. Those pigs will be heavy! If you don't have a meat grinder then you're going to miss out on making sausage, and you'll waste quite a bit of the pig. I'm not trying to make you feel bad; that's just how it is. Everyone gets their start somehow, and we often don't have all the equipment we might need. Maybe you can add a meat grinder down the road. I'd bury what's left instead of burning it. Go off and dig a deep hole. Congratulations on raising your first set of pigs!

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
@OhSusanna, I've skinned and cleaned deer, rabbits, and fish before. I've ordered a meat grinder. I didn't think about that, so I'm glad you mentioned it. We definitely want sausage.