Combines Capacity quesion

bigpower

Cleaning area is most important. Horsepower has nothing to do with the efficiency of a combine. A properly set 2388 at 280hp will show this, it will produce more clean grain_hour than a 9750 with 325hp. Add an AFX rotor to a 2388 and you will see 5-15% more throughput capacity than any 9750, with 50 less hp. Because the 2388 does have a larger sieve area to handle more material, it would not hurt to turn up the HP if it is needed for unloading on the go, or working in hills. Just my 2 cents worth!

deadduck

Most 2388's are running 300hp or better. We have cut along beside 9750's and run about the same speed, or slightly faster.

bm

No way. Color-blind comment. A 2388 doesn't even come close because it can't handle the clean grain (at least corn) because the clean grain elevator is the limiting factor (about 1_2 the size of the 9750's). Read my post on JD page. It explains it all. Every combine has a limiting factor. On the 2388 it's probably the old rotor and the clean grain elevator, on the 9750 it's the header and the cleaning area. Most of these class 8 combines are only limited by header size. A 9650sts is limited by hp because it's essentially the same thing as a 9750, but doesn't have as much hp, so it's the limiting factor. I don't know how anyone can say hp has nothing to do with effeciency of a combine.

Rockpicker

I disagree. Comparing cleaning area from combine to combine is not comparing apples to apples. There are differences in the shoe from each machine. The shoe on a 2388 is not the same as on a 9750 STS or the same as a Gleaner. I run a CTS II which has the same shoe and cleaning area as the 9500. I can keep up with 2388s in small grains even though I have about 3,000 less square inches of area. And my shoe loss and sample is just as good too. In my opinion, having too big of a shoe can be almost as bad as having too small of a shoe.

bill1

bigpower are you STUIPIDIJ Horsepower is one of the largest factors in combine capacity. A properly set 2388 can not run close to a 9750. I know, I have setup 2388 and turned up the power and they still can't keep up. look at the size of the clean grain elevator and drives on the 2388.