Combines CDF Rotor in an R42

tbran

not necessarily, on the R42's with cdf's we have run two or 4 bars reversed, it does not take the hp on cdf's as it does on regular ones. look on this or the other forum for Dan's cage door mod and bar configuration.

NDDan

OK Fishdog. I imagine you plan on doing the floor mod for this is even more important on 42 than it was on your 40. Your machine may work just fine as is but if you want some hyper suggestions I'll take a wack at it. If you have corn you may want a high wide wire front half of thresher concave or remove everyother wire from low narrow wire. Have some provision for concave filler bars made up and ready if you run into hard to thresh crops. As far as helicals in CDF equiped machines some guys shim them out by 1_4" especially the steep pitch if installed. I prefer a minimum of one long steep pitch and a medium on the short rotor machines for this eliminates the need to run helical accross corner of feeder. I have installed as many as three long steep pitch and medium. If you want to be conservative on helicals right now I would at a minimum extend the second helical from gearbox across corner of feeder and this would involve triming up crop flow directer enough to weld on triange filler to support a piece of helical. If you have a fair amount of small grains you might consider a couple other mods to CDF. One being shimming thresher bars out by 1_2". If you have a fair amount of corn you might just shim by 1_4 to 3_8". I believe main reason for small diameter on CDF was to help prevent breaking the corn cob. I would imagine less bars and smaller diameter has helped this so if you do something inbetween you could have a better mix for your crops. Some interesting mods have been done to seperator side on various rotors (sweeps, short or two bolt bars, and l shaped seperator pins). There has been some testing of sweeps on CDF but easiest thing for you to do at any time is make some two bolt bars. A first step could be remove every other long or four bolt bar. Reinstall a two bolt bar at far left then turn rotor to next blank spot and install another two bolt bar in center set of bolts then turn to next spot to install two bolt bar to the right. You could expand on this by removeing the left approx 2_3 of every other middle set of cylinder bars. THis would be cutting the wide rasp bar two rasps over from center bolt hole. This would keep full set of bars over concave to be sure you get max thresh and then a steggered setup on seperator side. As I explained a mild way of setting up seperator side with steggered bars you could do alot more of it with two bolt bars. I'm unsure if you could over do seperator side so I would play it a little safe. Shimming out the standard or short two bolt bars has proven to save grain in some small grains crops. lastly is what do you want to do with seperator grate. If low narrow wire you would want to consider a couple mods. One is what you likely had done with your R40 and that is remove everyother wire and then plug holes from missing wires. If doing this I would also recommend raising the wires to within 1_4" of top of crossbar. I will sometimes raise wires in front half of grate by 5_16" to 3_8" and rear 1_2 by 1_4" to 5_16". Other suggesting and likely a better one is to cut every other cross bar loose and slide together creating longer slots. This is what Hyper has suggested over the years. With this mod I would still like to raise the wires by a minimum of 1_4". I'm undesided if I would do all the wires of a low narrow wire or approx every other. Now the corn door as Tbran mentioned. This is a mod that could be done with little trouble if you should ever run into excess loss when rotor is setup for super flow. First step would be have seperator side full of all helical bars. To slow down a bit you could remove helicals from removeable cage door. If this was not enough you could create what I call corn door. This would be cut sections of cage material in door to make vertical slots 1" X 2 3_4" slots. Prior to this I would install a vertical helical on far left side of the removable door and or another on far left side of seperator grate. This is what Gleaner has called a corn ring back in the '80s and it will help catch the straggling kernals that are following cage surface and cause them to make another revolution to help prevent them from sneaking into chopper. Now a note to those who think this is alot of modifing. Some guys will consider anything over 1_4% crop damage or loss is to much and some will consider 10 or 20 times this as normal. The modifing if for the guys that won't accept the status quo. Best of luck

Fishdog

I have already made the triangle piece to fit in the corner. The rotor bars at this point were worn more than I thought they should be after two seasons. What about installing the rasp bar on the bottom of the separator. I had this on the R40 and I had very little loss over the separator. Had about 18" of snow over Christmas. I have 15' trees I cannot see after two days of 40 mph winds.