Community Or Neighborhood Gardens

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Farm Hand
Do you have one in your area? If so, do you participate? If not, I think a good way to start is with with radishes or Stevia as they are low maintenance plants. And Stevia especially is a good thing to share with your neighbors so they can sweeten their mint tea, the leaves grown in the same garden, a bit.

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
There are community gardens in my area, but I just have my own in my backyard. A couple of my friends have become interested in growing things, so I suggested they start with the community gardens. They are a great resource for people who do not have the space for their own gardens.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
I don’t engage with my neighbours much except a couple of them. I think it’s always good to have a community, both online and in reality. Sadly my area isn’t an advantage for this. I would love to participate more.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
Community gardens are usually stocked with plants that produce more than one round of vegetables or fruits. Radishes aren't the best idea since once it's picked, it's picked. Tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers would all be better choices to plant since they produce all season long. Your idea of planting Stevia is a good one though. Your community will be able to harvest its leaves all summer long and even the next summer as well. We have a community garden nearby and I help work it when I can. I don't take any of the food since I don't need it, but I appreciate the effort it takes to keep it going and I enjoy helping it thrive.

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
I have always kind of wondered about this. With the differences between which seasons can grow which vegetables, germination times, etc.....do the people who are in charge of that plot of land have to dictate what gets grown?