COVID-19 and discount requests

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
Has anyone else noticed a rise in the number of customers who are asking for discounts due to the coronavirus and its effects on the economy? Are you bending to their request? So far, I've had three clients request a discount. That usually never happens. I haven't given a discount so far since I feel like I'm providing a luxury service, rather than anything you can't live without. Thoughts?

Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
I think landscaping is a luxury, but if you're also running a lawn mowing service, then I can see how that's something folks can't do without. They might not own a mower or might not be healthy enough to push a mower. It wouldn't be a big deal except some cities and counties will fine owners if they don't mow their lawn. That's especially true if a neighbor complains. I'm not saying that you should come down on your prices though. You know your customers, and their means, much better than I do.

I've dealt with more negotiating than usual. The farmers market is closed in my area, so I'm open to negotiating more than I'd usually like. I'm coming down on things that will rot if they aren't used up in time. I'm holding onto things that will last for ages and will retain their value.

Tia37

Farm Hand
There are more discounts from farmers and stores than I expected in my area. Honestly, it’s a surprise to me. It’s true that the economy is going downward and I guess we need to help each other.

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
It must be hard to refuse giving discounts. I can understand the dilemma. For me, if the customers were not asking too much, I might actually consider.