Combines CTS II Performance

Bigsky

Good day fellow Canadian. The CTS11 is one hell of a combine. Have not run the 9650, but run the CTS along side a 9600. The CTS will outpreform the 9600 in wheat and barley. Makes a cleaner job in flax...same capacity. In canola, they are about the same. Have run this combine in green oats, and I could not believe the capacity. This combine is basically the same system as your Cat combine. Will run side by side with the 470 Cat. In my point of view, this combine is better suited to the tough conditions we face here in the prarrie's, then the STS. Not to often we get harvest weather like we had this year so far. Usally the rotarys in this country are grunting after 8:00P.M. I think if Deere would make the CTS in a 9600 body, with 375 H.P., it would be a better machine then the 480 Cat.

Rod

CTS is a very underarated machine. Once you work out how they work (it's not hard) and set them accordingly - they are phenominal. They really leave other machines for dead in the absolutely horrible tough conditions but still perform very well in the dry brittle conditions. I doubt whether you will see another machine eat barley like a CTS. Canola, wheat, beans you name a CTS will do them all and very well.

Murr

Well, I own a CTS and have a hell of a time combining canola and flax, can't get a clean sample without losing half of it out the back, have done everything but stand on my headIJIJ Maybe the CTS2 is better than the older one, haven't had a chance to run one tho. So, if any of you guys have a few pointers, give it to me straight

HRGD

others are telling me that there is a lot of changing, such as filler plates etc. when going from barley to wheat, and that the CTS is hard to set. Any truth to this. any info would be much appreciated. Thanks Jim Dayton

larry

A custom harvestor friend of mine had a couple CTS's. Said the same in dry barley they did double of what a 9500 could do. However in tough barley picking up a swath or striaght cutting they were terrible less than a 9500. VERY under powered he felt. Also he thought in dry condtions it would be handy to adjust the speed of he rotors. Anyway he went back to JD conv. combines. Maybe the CTS II is alot more hp or something.

Green_Envy

Tough harvesting conditions it one of the big reasons we like our CTSII. How is he setting the machineIJ We have never felt the need to adjust the speed of the rotors either. I do agree however, that the CTS was underpowered. JD solved that problem with the CTSII.

Bigsky

Phone 306-542-2814. Ask for the info on the grates that are put in the CTS. This is not a John Deere part, but a grate that is manufactured at this John Deere dealer. It might give info at their website. Nykolaishen.Com This is a must even for the CTS11 in canola and flax. Perfect sample.

HRGD

Thanks for the response. I talk to dealers who say you cannot use a CTSII in flax as the rotors will wrap. Obviously you do not have this problem. If you care to give me your address, I would like to come and talk with you. I live at Shoal lake Manitoba, on the Yellowhead Highway. Jim Dayton

murr

Thanks, just a footnote, broke the beater shaft on my CTS combine and finished the flax using a 9650. Had a lot better sample and didn't hardly lose anything out the back but at 140 bucks an hour combine rent I think I'll look into the grate thing. I'm curious to know if you have slowed the rotor speed down to 500 rpm from 700. Also have you added spacers(30mm)to drop the grates. Some fellow in Australia was telling me they did that and it helped a lot with the horsepower end of things.

murr

I'd like to tell you that I live in southern alberta and combining flax with my cts is not a problem. It's usually bone dry by the time I harvest it. It looks like wool out the back after it goes through the tine separator. less bales that way ;)