Combines Cummins problems

Tom_Russell

Are you the same guy who was concerned about Deutz engines a few months agoIJ If you are, what did you learn about enginesIJ Tom in MN

sebas

I only made the questions to know how are going the engines. Maybe in the future I will buy a new tractor or combine and I don't want to choose the wrong way.

tbran

Gleaner has had very few problems with Cummins engines. In some areas a few years ago there were some R62 heating problems. This led to a fix kit. We also have had a few customers who realize the potential of a harvester which has a VERY responsive governor setting; a recalibration of the gov's really helps on combines. This has been going on since the beginning of time,, 1923,, when somone was probably out there with a lantern tweeking the gov. spring of the old Fordson power unit...........

2rotorsrule

That was me that brought it up. I was in the MF Directory and they were saying that their 275 hp (something like that) dyno'd at only 200, and that many of them had that problem of being underpowered. One gentleman also stated he liked his Cummins, but it did lack torque. I say Cummins is overrated, Caterpillar all the way. Thats my opinion. Agree or disagreeIJ

John

I have seen many cases where a 3206 Cat will beat the 3208 Cat and the 3208 was suppose to be the better engine, but an in-line will always have better torque than a V-8. All engineering design boards will agree on that too. Cat and Cummins both make good engines, especially when you think of the ag competition that they have left.

Tom_Russell

Saying a V8 doesnt have as much torque as an inline is merely repeating an old myth. Engine designers can put as much torque as they want into any engine design including a radial. Or conversely, they can make an engine as doggy as they or their customers want. The same myth was repeated in racecars and many actually believed it until somebody had guts to try a modern V8. Now most racecars are V8. You would have a hard time finding an inline today even though the Offy inline was the most popular engine 20 years ago. Bad habits die slowly.

John

Tom, What was said is, per cid of same fuel engine an in-line engine and radial engine will have more torque than a V configuration. Talk to your engineers friends and they will confirm this. The angle movement from combustion from one bank to the other loses torque whereas the in-line and radial that has a constant or cross firing motion don't lose that torque. One of the reasons that IH, JD, MF and Oliver somewhat backed away from the use of the V8's in tractors. Two neighbors had engine problem tractors several years ago and got low trade in for them, IH 1468 and 1155 MF both were V8's. Take a Dodge truck with a 5.9l Cummins, it takes a 7.3l V8 in a Ford to get the same torque, this is not a comparison of Cummins to Navistar or Dodge to Ford either, it's in-line to V8.

sebas

I visit some pages about engines, Deutz and Cummins, , and i see this: A Cummins M11, 6 in-line 240 Kw - 1243 Nm @ 1300 rpm of torque. A Deutz BF6M1015, V-6 240 Kw - 1472 Nm @ 1300 rpm of torque. Both engines had 11l of displacement, so de Deutz V6 had much torque than the Cummins 6 in-line.

Tom_Russell

In the days before retiring to farming I held several engineering jobs and V vs. inline was always a hot discussion topic with other engineers. None of us had studied engine design but we applied basic knowledge and experience gained from related job assignments. The conclusion I arrived at, which may be totally incorrect, is that the location of a cylinder in an engine and its relationship to the crankshaft has little bearing on engine output. Bore, Stroke, and valve timing determine what an engine will do. John, your assessment may be totally correct but I merely have a hard time understanding it based on previous experience.

T__langan

We've never had any diesel V8's on our farm. Have heard all the stuff about lack of torque, etc though. BUT, I remember very well at a Farm Progress Show soon after the Allis_Deutz merger where D-A had a Deutz V8 on an engine stand next to a Chevy 454. They would start them both up every 15 min. or so and let people from the crowd "gun" the throttles to compare the two engines. The Deutz had every bit as much throttle response as the Chevy gas engine had. That made a believer out of me of Deutz diesels even though we didn't own any at the time.