Combines Custom Harvest Tribute 2004 and 1944 1945 Harvest Brigade

TJ

The gentleman's name is lenwood Holo. I ate supper with him two years ago at the Custom Harvestor convention in Topeka, KS. I have not heard if he has made the run this year like planned or not. I still have his brochure somewhere, I will try to find it and pass along the info. His combine sure looked nice.

Russ

Could You please expand on your comments. The original harvest brigade was a historical event that most people fail to understand the significance of. Never before in the history of mankind had so much grain been harvested in such a short period of time. I have seen the restored machine. The gentleman that did the restoration is Mr. lenwood G. Holo. There is a brief bit of the history in a BBC documentary that Massey Ferguson used in their dealership video series back in the early 1980's titled Yellow Trail From Texas. I am in hopes that others will contribute some experience or knowledge to this topic.

lj

The combine and dodge truck went through Falls City Ne sometime in late June early July headed for Tulia Texas to the home of US Custom Harvestors. The machine also looked nice if I remember right. They had a nice write up in the local paper on the machine and the harvest brigade.

J__D__Titan

Russ, I used to do much historical research on Massey's combine history. M-H and M-F were essential not only to modern combine history, but to the custom harvesting business as we know it today. The modern custom harvest run is a direct spin-off from the Brigade. It's just too bad that even by the time i first began a search on the history of the Harvest Brigade, most of the participants had passed on. Back then, most harvesting was done by grown men, not young boys just out of high school. I never met len Holo, but have talked to him a lot during the restoration of the 21A. I used to also have a 21A, but only got it to running condition, never fully restored the body and paint. Ironically, though Holo is running a 21A, it was actually the earlier Model 21 that was featured in the Harvest Brigade. Although the 21 had been in production for at least a year earlier, it was the Brigade that made this combine so popular. Also, wartime production and from thereafter, all M-H combines were painted. before the War, they were galvanized. Have you seen or heard of a plain galvanized 21IJ Of couse, the War was in full swing by the time the 21A [auger table] came out, so All 21A's were painted red. The 21's were radically different from the old, bulky and very heavy Model 20. Compact, lightweight, well-balanced and user-friendly, the 21's set a new standard for the combine industry. In essence, the Model 21_21A was to combines as the Ford model T was to automobiles.

FarmBuddy

Check your dates ljones7720. lenwood was in TX earlier in June and back up in Garden City Kansas during the week of 14 - 18 June. I met up with him there during that week of wheat harvest and much rain. The Massey and Dodge truck looked good. He deserves a lot of credit for his efforts and contributions to the memories of the Harvest Brigade and WWII efforts. If there were an easy way to post photos here, I would.

dakota_boy

What are you looking for a number or somethingIJ I was at a local Massey Dealer about 40 miles from our farm and he had a picture of the combine in a wheat field near Platte, South Dakota, he had a telephone n and business card from the Harvest Brigade. let me know what you need to help you. Thanks, Tim

Judy

Hi Russ - You are SO right - this is a HUGE piece of American Agricultural HISTORY. My goal is to get this story into the Smithsonian so the generations to come will know just what a big piece of history it is. My grandfather, Joe Tucker was vice-president of Massey-Harris when he conceived the idea for the 1944-1945 Harvest Brigade. I am interested in any information about the actual Brigade. I have alot of info that I inherited - but still need stories, documentation, pictures, etc. I have been following the restored Massey-Harris 21A Self-propelled combine on the Custom Harvest Tribute 1944-2004. Mr. Holo has truly done a GREAT thing with this tribute. NO ONE has ever done it before. Together, our stories are HUGE. I have been fortunate to ride on the combine in Gibbon NE and drive it near Watertown SD. I appreciate your comments and am SO glad you realize the importance of the Harvest Brigade. I would love to have a copy of Yellow Trail from Texas. Does anyone know where I could acquire a copyIJ I, too hope that I will hear from lots of people about the Harvest Brigade and the Tribute.

Judy

I was elated to read your comments, J.D. As you may have read in my comments to Russ, this is probably the MOST important story in my family's history and I am the one that is gathering EVERYTHING I can from others who have a connection to the Harvest Brigade of 1944. Mr. lenwood Holo's journey with that beautifully restored Massey-Harris 21A self-propelled combine is drawing to a close - and literally thousands of people have seen it. I am happy to say that I have been in Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota with him. I have seen first hand how amazed people are. I will join him again next week in Minnesota, at the meeting of the North American Massey Collectors. I never tire of telling people about my grandfather's part in the Harvest Brigade and what a HUGE piece of American History it is. I would like very much to know what kind of historical research you have done. My brother has a model of a M-H combine that was given to him by our grandfather - I'm not sure if it is a 21 or 21A. You are so right about the 21A and Model T comparison. It's a shame so many people don't know it. That's why I am committed to telling this story.

Judy

Thanks for offering. I have been fortunate to have met Mr. lenwood Holo who restored the Massey-Harris 21A combine. I also was thrilled to be able to ride on and drive it in the field at Gibbon NE and Watertown SD. I am basically looking for info and comments on the original Harvest Brigade of 1944_1945, as well as the Custom Harvest Tribute 1944-2004. I really want the world to know that my grandfather, Joe Tucker, was the originator of the Harvest Brigade while he was vice-president of Massey-Harris. Thank you, Judy

Judy

TJ - He has indeed made his run this year. I, quite by chance, saw that he was stopping in Mt. Hope KS on his way south. As it was my grandfather, Joe Tucker who originated the idea for the 1944-1945 Harvest Brigade, I had to go there and see the restored Massey-Harris 21A Self-propelled combine. Mr. Holo has now cut wheat in Texas, OK, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and North Dakota. He will soon be at the end of his journey. Thousands of people have seen this marvelous combine. NO ONE has ever paid tribute to the Harvest Brigade and Custom Harvesters before. I am so amazed that I was able to meet Mr. Holo - together our stories are a HUGE part of American History. I hope to someday put the story in the Smithsonian for generations to come. I recently returned from near Watertown SD, where I again was able to ride on the combine in the field. The president of USCHI was also there. It truly was a thrill for me.