Delivery van or truck?

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Since the pandemic hasn't really let up, we're looking into getting a delivery van or two in order to serve our customers. I figured a van would be better because it provides protection from the elements and offers more climate control, but my husband is leaning towards a large truck instead because it will haul more than a van. Which vehicle do you guys use to deliver your farm fresh produce and cooked foods to customers?

Mayfield

Farm Hand
I would have to agree with you. I would lean towards a van (full size). You can keep your produce protected from the elements when you are delivering. I would say you could get a truck if you have an enclosed trailer.

Henderson

Golden Chicken
If you use a truck it will be easier to keep clean because you hose the bed down after each run. That's probably the only reason I'd go for a truck in your case.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I also agree that a van would be better for delivering cooked foods and produce. I have used both a full sized cargo van and a pick up truck to deliver farm products. But for cooked foods, or produce you really need a covered van. If I'm delivering hay, I used my pick up truck. A cargo van is very easy to clean, it's not like a mini-van which is basically a passenger vehicle.

Emergency Cake

Farm Hand
Have you looked into working with Uber Eats instead? If I sold food at a work site or a popular neighborhood spot, I'd go all in with a food truck. But if I'm just delivering meals here and there, then I'd outsource the delivery portion. Why take on the cost of a new vehicle, maintenance, fuel, man-hours for delivery, and a higher insurance rate if you don't have to?

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Have you looked into working with Uber Eats instead?
Yes, I've checked. Unfortunately, they don't operate here. I think my area might be too far in the country. We need to get a work vehicle of some sort anyway. We actually started saving up before the pandemic hit. You had a good tip though.