Combines deutz V8 in R 72

jeff

I rented a 1994 R-72 this fall with air cooled deutz. We ran it along side an 2001 R-62. Fuel use was much lower than the 62. With simular cylinder setup and 25' heads on both machines the 62 would do a little more in a day, mainly because of lateral tilt on the 62. I didn't realize what difference it made untill running one without. power was fairly close between the two. I think the rating on the 72 was 275 HP in 94. As far as dependability, it had set on a lot for 6 years outside. Neighbor put 200hrs on it and I put another 200hrs on it without a hickup. Just keep the engine DRY and ClEAN!!!

Mike

lots of torque and ponies compared to pre QSC Cummins in the 62. The old Duetz motors in the 62's were probably cranking out near the M11 specs. Now for the down side. Many catch on fire if they are not clean. It is always fun to start the day blowing bean dirt our of a motor in a tight space with compressed air. Can you say itch all day. Secondly if she goes down you will pay big time getting her going again unless you go with used parts, because new parts have to be shipped accross the pond. We had one and now have an M11. It took our dealer almost 3 years to sell our Duetz R62. I'd steer clear.

Tom_Russell

let me guess the reason you had to blow your engine so often---it had fuel leaks from injector lines that you didnt take care of. I have a Deutz in my R60 and the only time I take compressed air to it is after we finish harvesting. Deutz parts are stocked in the good old US of A. I can order them from an AGCO dealer or direct from a Deutz engine dealer the same as I do for Cummins engines.

Silver_Shoes

I think he is just raising a flag of caution. They are excellent engines but if you have to rebuild one, which is unlikely if maintained properly, it will cost around 23,000 for an overhaul. Personally I would try to find a cummins because of that cost you might incure. BTW did anyone else here that cummins is out the door and Sisu is in for the 2006 machinesIJ

mo_farm

I have heard rumors of Agco dropping Cummins for the Sisu but not just when they were planning to do it. Also heard they were looking at replacing the Duetz engines in the Fendts also.

Mike

Actually we never had a leaky fuel line one time. Bean dirt would always settle around the heads and eventually build up. Sure you could get by skipping a day blowing it out, but we did it everyday to be safe. Our local AC dealer sells maybe 3-5 new machines a year and they used to average an engine fire each year(wheat harvest in 100 degree temps started many). That has decreased as the air cooled engines are few and far between. The cleaning of the engine was a big pain. I won't call you a liar, but if you stick a rod through the block of your beloved Duetz I would bet money it will take you more than 30 days and in excess of $15,000 to fix it. You can buy a reman M11 for under $6,000 and have it tomorrow. We've been Gleaner oweners for 30+ years(though we've shed all the rest of our AGCO equipment for other colors) and it is a great product so I'm not on here trying to run the machine down. In fact the Duetz is a very good engine which is why for years it was the most popular irrgation engine for many. Personally, I would not buy a Duetz powered machine unless it was heavily discounted and then you are still playing with a loaded gun. Finally your AGCO dealer does not stock Cummins engine parts, unless he is an authorized Cummins dealer of which I do not know of any AGCO dealers who are.

snipe

I dont no what to do, are the cummins in the gleaner different then the newer masseys as there seems to be major problems with a few of there engines up here.

Mike

Should be the QSC 8.3 at 285hp in those 62's made around 1998 and later or the M11 in the 72's. local dealer had one QSC with a leaky head gasket but other than that I don't ever remember hearing of a problem. We had an exhaust manifold stud break on our M11 at about 1000 hours. Took about 30 minutes to fix.

Tom_Russell

I am not calling you a liar either, but after running a Deutz in the same Gleaner for over 10 years, I cant understand why you have trouble with dust when I dont have any troublenone, nada, zip, zero. The fins on my Deutz are clean as a hounds tooth. But I do keep the engine dry and I promptly fix any oil or fuel leak that may occur. I also have all engine plenum shrouds in place and the air supply and cooling fan are in good shape. By any chance, are you the guy who posted earlier about removing plenum shrouds to improve airflowIJ Doing that would definitely cause problems you were having.

Mike

I have never modified the air plenum. Not sure where you are but we are in S. Il. lots of heat and humidity especially in wheat harvest and sometimes in bean harvest. It is worse when the wind is at your back. Dirt build up around the heads was a problem on every Duetz around here. Chances are if a oil leak developed during the operation of the machine you were going to have a fire. I guess if you checked the oil_fuel lines every round you could prevent it. The Duetz is a good motor, but not in a dirty environment.