Tractors Do You Share?

William Van

William Van

Farm Hand
Is there any equipment you own that you share/lend out? I understand not doing it if you're leasing, but if you own an older tractor would you lend it out to someone?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
It's so tricky, isn't it? I'm happy to loan anything to any person once, whether you may borrow from me again depends on how well you did the first go around. So far, I haven't been burned badly. What about you, @William Van?

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Well, I've been mighty thankful in the past when neighbors have loaned me their equipment. Sometimes what I had would fail and sometimes I just wanted to try their equipment to see if it was worth the investment. I always made sure to return it as soon as possible and with a tank full of gas. Since I borrow, I happily loan my equipment out too. It's a risk, but I feel like it draws me closer to the community.

Paul

Paul

Farm Hand
I do allow our neighbor borrow our tractor from time to time. We've known his family for years, though. I'm not sure I'd lend out my equipment to someone we don't know well.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I noticed the OP mentions sharing and I've wondered about that too. Has anyone tried going in with a neighbor to buy a piece of equipment that you'd both share from the start? I'm curious as to how it worked out. While I was in college years ago, we had an apartment that had community tools and lawn equipment and it worked out well. We just had to chip in for the maintenance of the equipment and it saved us a bundle.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
We only share our gear with family. Now, I'd be more than happy to give someone some food or other supplies if they needed it, but I'd never loan out my farm equipment to anyone that's not blood.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
I noticed the OP mentions sharing and I've wondered about that too. Has anyone tried going in with a neighbor to buy a piece of equipment that you'd both share from the start?
I've got an informal thing with a close friend, where we take turns buying the equipment we'd only need every once in a while. So he'll get the pressure washer and I'll get the carpet shampooer and we'll swap as needed. It helps both our businesses because we aren't wasting cash and storage space on something we'd use just a couple times a year.