Downsizing May Be Better

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
There is a story about a commercial pig farm who may have to euthanize hundreds of weight ready pigs because the processing plant that takes them is closed down. And that the grocery store a hundred miles away is out of pork.

With the commercialization of this process that leads to larger and larger farms feeding larger and larger processing plants that feeds larger and larger populations, I think it's time we scale back this chain. Make the links smaller.

They that a vaccine and a cure is not a given. That this virus could very well stay with us forever, and that all we will be able to do is mitigate the effects. Like with the flu, AIDS, etc. Well, one way to mitigate this is to make everything smaller and more spread out. Like us, for example. We have to social distance 6 feet away from each other. We need to re-construct farms, processing plants, distribution chains and stores to where everything is smaller, more spread out and more......…effective.

We cannot go without food. It's there, the farmers are still doing what they do but the chain is broken and one way to fix it is to make it smaller in scale and longer in scope.

What do you think?

jjp8182

Farm Hand
I don't disagree, but also think there needs to be a balance between the number of large and small operations as each has it's own risks, as well as benefits. ....and the current situation (beyond just the disease itself) is definitely highlighting that fact - particularly with the economic & transport/logistics impacts.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
I got something to share but not going to sour the pot.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
It's been a coon's age since I've heard that expression. I doubt you could sour the pot though. Many different ideas have been shared around this forum with no upset. Plus, it's the internet. It's not like sharing your opinion at the feed store and almost coming to fisticuffs because you like a certain feed more than another. Okay, that's an exaggeration. Arguments mostly break out over politics and the treatment of livestock around here. Why anyone holds those discussions in the middle of an aisle is beyond me.

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Farm Hand
You know what they say...........you can't sour the pot with a hot potato issue. ?

I'm with jjp in that they need to enact some type of legislation to limit the amount of mega farms. Mix it up for the sake of public safety in case something like this happens again.

Corporate greed is putting all those eggs in one basket.