Drill with rechargeable battery

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I've had my original Craftsman drill for over 15-years now, but they no longer make the batteries, so I'm going to have to move on. I've already tried another Craftsman, and it was a big disappointment. I've tried a Black and Decker and the battery on it is laughable. Please let me know if you've found a strong drill with a rechargeable battery that lasts.

MartyR

Farm Hand
Wait a minute...you're saying that you used the same rechargeable battery for over a decade and it never degraded? If so, then you really should've stocked up when you had the chance!

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Wait a minute...you're saying that you used the same rechargeable battery for over a decade and it never degraded?
No, the battery degraded over time. I've been through a few. I've needed to replace some bits too. The drill is still good though. The motor still works great. I just can't buy another battery for it because they don't make them anymore. I can't say enough good things about it though. I've used it to build both coops, to build our banister, and to build a ramp for my grandmother. It's been a great drill. I'd like to find another one.

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
We have switched almost all of our power tools to Dewalt. They so far have not disappointed us. When we did a comparison in the store, they felt heavier and more durable.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Back in the 90's I had a bunch of DeWalt battery powered tools and really liked them, but I don't think DeWalt is as good as it used to be. I've tried several different brands of battery powered tools and haven't really been happy with any of them. Currently, I have a contractor, who I really respect, renovating my barn, and he exclusively uses Milwaukee tools. I'm very impressed with his tools, so the next time I replace some of my tools I'm going to try Milwaukee. I've had a corded Milwaukee Sawzall for years that I really like.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
I have a mix of Makita 18V LXT and Milwaukee M18 and M12 tools. I like the tool selection across all three lines as it covers most of everything I'd need (or want) when it comes to tools. While most brands cover the basic types of saws, drills, impact drivers and impact wrenches each brand/line has it's own gaps in cordless tools. Which is how/why I've ended up with tools using the different battery systems. ...and may end up adding yet another line (to very limited degree).

The Makita 18v tools are the ones I've had the longest & most of and generally lean to when buying something new. The Milwaukee M18 line tends to have the tools with the most power, but they don't seem to be as conservative with the thermal management or include some of same protective features on the batteries as Makita seem to do ....and given the batteries can be as expensive (or more expensive) than the tools themselves......

Have used the Makita batteries the longest and most frequently over time and they've seemed to hold up well ...I think the oldest ones I have are pushing a decade(?) now. Other thing to consider is Makita frequently has specials that add additional batteries to a tool package so patience and watching for deals can lead to getting a fair number of batteries without having to specifically buy them.

However, the Milwaukee M12 tools have grown on me as they tend to be very compact & ergonomic while still offering a lot of utility & power for a 12 volt battery system.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I still use an 18-volt Milwaukee that I bought years ago. It's somewhat heavier than what you can find on the market today, but this thing is a beast! The battery still lasts for ages. Look into their line of drills.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I have a compact Bosch PS32-02 that I use fairly often. It's light as a feather, fits into tight spaces, and the battery charge lasts a long time. I think brushless drills hold up longer, or at least that's been my experience. If you want something that's affordable and fast, then check out the Kobalt KXDD 1424A-03. I use it all the time too. You might want to pick up an extra battery if you take that route.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to The Home Depot and Lowes this weekend to see what I can find. Makita has good reviews, and they make a lot of stuff in the USA, so I might go with that.

RichZ, that's sad to hear about DeWalt. Craftsman's quality has gone down too on some things. I guess it's just mismanagement of the brands.

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
I have not had any problem with my Dewalt tools. I know my brother loves and swears by Milwaukee tools. I would definitely look into those too. I have never heard of Makita.