Duckweed for forage

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
I attended a discussion today at my local county extension. The topic was about growing different types of forage for livestock. I knew most of the plants that were mentioned by the expert until she got to duckweed. It's the green stuff that grows pretty quickly on ponds and lakes. It can even be grown indoors. It's supposed to be good for goats and fowl in particular. Has anyone tried this type of forage? I'm interested in giving it a try just to see how it turns out. I always thought that green stuff was just a nuisance. How do you grow it?

Julianna

Julianna

Farm Hand
Really? I always thought duckweed was bad for the environment. It quickly multiplies and covers the pond's surface. Within a short time it shuts out the light which prohibits photosynthesis and depletes the oxygen in the water and kills the fish. Am I thinking of another plant?

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
That's what I thought too, Julianna. Apparently, it doesn't become a nuisance when you're removing the duckweed often in order to use it for forage. I can't say that I'd purposefully infect my pond, but if it's already there, you might as well use it. It's like turning something bad into good.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
Really? I always thought duckweed was bad for the environment. It quickly multiplies and covers the pond's surface. Within a short time it shuts out the light which prohibits photosynthesis and depletes the oxygen in the water and kills the fish. Am I thinking of another plant?

Nope, but it can be used for a cheap fish food (for some fish) as well .... just has to be managed so what you're describing is kept in check from what I understand.