Emergency Planning

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Farm Hand
If something happens to you and/or your farm, what emergency plans do you have in place? We all need to be prepared for whatever may happen for the sake of our family.

Rosebud

Rosebud

Farm Hand
I will admit that I do not currently have a plan. COVID-19 has prompted me to start thinking about what I want to happen to my farm and animals if something happens to me, though. I really need to sit down and get something official written up.

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
I have a medical POA to make decisions for my care if I'm not able to. As far as a will goes, I think my biggest issue is that neither of my children want to inherit and run the business. I was hoping to keep it in the family, so that's a disappointment. Maybe one of them will have a change of heart down the road.

@Rosebud as far your medical care goes, most states have made it easy and free to work something up. Google your state + advanced health care directives or your state + living will and see what you can find. You'll find lots of templates and forms that are ready to go.

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
It depends on what kind of problems you are talking about. I feel like the virus has messed stuff up a bit as I did not have a good emergency plan. It definitely helps reminding me in the future that I should be more prepared and always have a second plan.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
I think it’s indeed a very good timing to reflect on our emergency planning. Honestly, I have never thought about that seriously before. Now I’m thinking of taking about this with my family as well as my neighbor.

Tia37

Farm Hand
It’s actually important to always think one step forward, not just for farming, I believe. I usually discuss it with my family. Mostly about the financial part.