Combines F2 sheetmetal fatigue

tbran

yes, have seen this before. Measure and have a piece of sheet matal cut and BOlT it up under the engine. Ususally leave the old sheet metal there, just push it back up in place. You need to remove the walkers to do it right. :-( Check the engine mounting bolts and check the pulleys and flywheel for debris build up that causes vibration.

Farmer_Ed

I know exactly what you are talking about! About 5 years ago I was running our F2 in wheat and I smelled something burning and got off to check and saw a fire between the grain bin and the engine! The straw from the beater had worked itself through the sagging sheet metal and touched the exhaust and walaa, instant fire! Talk about heart stopping! The only thing that saved it was a jug of Gatorade while I kept the machine running! From then on I have always carried a fire extinguisher on the combines. I didn't know if I was the only one with the sheet metal problem. None of our F's seem to have the problem (believe me, I checked!). What we did was just put the sheet metal back into place, drilled the holes bigger (in both the sheet metal and angle iron holding the sheet metal) and put in bolts with fender washers and make sure you use lock nuts. We didn't remove the walkers, although we had a small guy that fit in the inspection hole to start the nuts and bolts. Works like a charm! Good luck!

Russ_SCPA

My K2 did that twice. We finially doubled the sheet metal plate and placed a strip under bolt heads to add more strength. The F has not done that at least since we have owned it.

Steve_from_Tn

My dad lost an F-2 to fire because he did not stop and repair the damaged sheet metal under the engine. She were a sweet machine.

paul

Thanks all. The straw chopper made a pretty good vacumn, so made it through oats - finished last evening, raining today. Now, to work it over and repair be4 beans and corn. I'm thinking of adding a sheet and bolting in a strip of metal or light angle iron to reenforce it, as some of you suggested. That's the least of the worries, considering what the mice did to the monitor wiring... :( Any way to mouse-proof the cabIJ Seems they can get in under the controls and through the crooks and crannies. ----Paul

Tom_Russell

Paul, sorry to hear about your mouse problems. We havent had any trouble since we got some cats to live in the machinery storage building. As added insurance, we put several mothballs into the overhead plenum behind the monitors. let me know if you need any monitors. I can let you have whatever I have left for about half what you would pay to have them rebuilt.