Farming and the holidays

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
What are some of the answers when asking farmers what they will be doing over the holidays? The truth is that farming never stops for holidays and most, if not all of us, work over this period.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
What are some of the answers when asking farmers what they will be doing over the holidays? The truth is that farming never stops for holidays and most, if not all of us, work over this period.
Especially dairy farmers. When I was milking goats, I had to milk them every day at 5AM and 5PM no matter what.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I think it's okay to trade off with neighbors and take some holiday time off if you need to see family. Other than that, we like to celebrate the holidays with our animals. It probably sounds funny, but we always include some extra special treats along with their daily rations.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I don't think that's strange, animals are part of the family. We do that, too. Not only with our dogs and cats, but with our livestock, too, because we consider them all pets, as well.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Add me to the strange list. All creatures big and small get something new and special on Christmas. It's all part of the celebration.

@leon That is tough, especially this year with COVID-19 still going around. I imagine most farmers will be staying at home. Probably too afraid to hire someone to come in and feed the animals.

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
I wouldn't mind helping out a friend or neighbor so they could go visit their family over the holidays. I'd need them to show me the ropes first though since I don't have much experience with livestock. I'm sure I could keep them fed, safe, clean, and watered.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
Especially dairy farmers. When I was milking goats, I had to milk them every day at 5AM and 5PM no matter what.
And over time, you got used to this routine, right? I think that most farmers get used to almost working round the clock, only taking breaks when necessary. For dairy farmers, do you get attached to animals to only wanting to leave them to people you trust?

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
We always have the family to our house. That way we don't have to leave the farm and we get to see our whole family. We are still having dinner, just not as many people this year. It is hard to do things when you own a farm.