Combines Flex vs Rigid head

hunter

It may tend to stack up on you if you have short grain. Not a very big problem. If you leave the head locked up for a long time. The ball sockets on the floating head will rust up and not work when you want to cut beans. The sickle dose not run as straight as on a ridged head so you could have drive problems and more wear. When in the ridged position the drive belt runs higher up and on our head rubs on frame and a bolt. But that may only be a problem if head was bent up some from running in the ground. Using milo gaurds on a floating head was also a problem, puts them out there a long ways, and they tend to rattle and come lose. We used a floating head for 4 years then bought a ridged just to save the wear on the floating head.

Silver_Bullet

When I quit cutting beans I decided it was worth buying a rigid head for wheat and milo. I was seeing a lot of wear points on a flex head that wasn't necessary for me since I wasn't using it as a flex head. And it was sure nice to get the sickle back closer to the auger. The rigid head also weighs a little less than a flex so your not carrying the extra weight around. You won't be sorry for going to a rigid head.

john_f

I would go with the rigid head, I have used both in wheat, and I think that the rigid head works better. Have a Merry Christmas everyone John

ANM

Thanks guys, thats what I thought just needed confirmation from those who have the experience.

T__langan

Unless you think you may want to cut soybeans some day and want the versatility of the flex, go with the rigid head. You can't beat a rigid head for feeding and simplicity.