Combines Gleaner Upgrades

Tom

Super job. It sure is nice to see what a guy wants to accomplish before starting modifications. Tom Russell

Jeff

These are great, Just what I've wanted to see. Maybe this has been answered before,I am wondering about trouble in small grains with the removed wires.

Dan

I havn't seen any problem in small grains with approx. every other wire removed from thresher concave. We usually remove from rear section only because the more wires in front section help support the filler bars. We normally have three filler bars in front section and tailings returned to the cylinder for our hard to knock out small grains. We do have wide spaced wire concaves in both front and rear. You just need to have enough filler bars in so you get most of the threshing done before it gets through the concave. We have removed approx. every other wire from seperator concave mainly to prevent the corn cobs from plugging in it and have not seen where it makes any difference for small grain. Allthough you have maybe read in previous posts of mine that I find the seperator grate to roll the tough straw which can trap seeds and take out the end of rotor. Also we find the seperator grate to continue to break up the brittle straws which can make it hard to clean up on the shoe. For our crops we like the cover installed on the grate so the crop can flow along nicely. We don't have the super high yeilding corn and we never take it off over 25% moisture so we find we are better off with grate covered. I think we will know alot more after this harvest on covering the seperator grate for there are quite a few tring it in different conditions. Sorry I kind of went away from your question of removing wires. Oh yea if you have a 1995 or newer concave or machine you may allready have a wide wire rear section of thresher concave. OK enough for now. We'll catch you later... Dan