Combines Groundspeed in wheat

riceman

We run with a 9600 and 25 foot head around 3.3 to 3.6miles an hour. Thats with a spike machine. Is your 9500 a spikeIJ Do you run a Shelbourne or Massey Stripper headIJ

Brimfarms

My 9500 has a rasp in it. I was also wandering if I needed the filler plates in for wheatIJ last fall during rice harvest I took them out for the stripper head(Reynolds) to get a little more rice through the cylinder. I also took out every other bar in the concave. The problem I was having with the stripper head was that I was getting a lot of straw walker losses, and very little shieve losses. Have you ever had this problem with the spike toothIJ Thanks for the info. P.S. where do ya farmIJ

riceman

Deeres like to walk out rice. Maybe a bushel an acre. We run spikes and rigid headers. Don't have much loss in other crops just rice. We run another farm with a 9600 rasp barand a Shelbourne stripper. We open the concave real wide. Maybe 6 or higher but its been a few months since I done it so I could be wrong. I farm here in northeast Arkansas.

Brimfarms

The thing i have learned about cutting rice is that a rasp bar and rigid head dont go togather. I tried cutting rice with my 22' rigid and figured I was putting about 4-5 bu. on the ground. It was nearly impossible to thrash the rice off the stalk. Thats why I bought the spripper head. I have been told that a rasp is actually better with a spripper head than a spike because of the paddling action the bars give, at least thats what I have been told. P.S. how fast can you run in rice with youre 9600's and rigid headsIJ Would a CTS be better than a 9600 for riceIJ

riceman

We run a 9600 with 25 foot head around 2.2 to 2.4 in standing rice. Can run the 9600 with the 20 fot at around 2.6 in standing. A CTS is much better a machine in rice.Its made on the smaller 9500 frame so its lighter.I wish we had 2 CTS's but just can't afford it. Have you gotton rid of your riceIJ Do you keep in bins or ship out the fieldIJ A somewhat good friend just sold and shipped out his 1998 rice crop. We still have about 100,000 bu. in the bins. Thats with hauling 2 to 3 loads straight to the mill.

Brimfarms

Yep, I stilll have almost all of mine in the bins. I only farm about 300 acers of rice and only have about 30,000bu of storage space, so I had to take some to the local thief, I mean elevator. They really know how to screw you on rice. We will probally sell our rice on the next few months, if Uncle Bens gets back in the market, thats is usually who buys my rice. I had about 8,000 bu at the local elevator and have already sold that due to storage cost. Hope you have good luck selling yours. Thanks for all the info....

Augers

There are two ways to help solve the problem with walker losses with a Shelbourne_Reynolds stripper header.

Brimfarms

What do you mean when you say cut the walkers back. Is that litterally cutting them with a torchIJ Will this affect any other crops negativelyIJ Does the steel curtain go in the place of one of the rubber curtiansIJ Thanks for the info... P.S. I have a 9500, I dont think that I could run that fast in rice. The fastest that I ran last fall was 4mph, and that was in 13% moisture rice.