Combines Harvest 2000 Wanted

Wilber

What combines do you useIJ What do you think of the new JD machinesIJ I like the styling improvements but I can't understand their thinking on the fixed pre-cleaner louvers on the STS. This seems contrary to what we've always done by setting the sieves wider for corn and narrower for small grains. Also does seem to have any improvement over CIH on sidehill loss. Some guys I've talked to think that the higher grain damage is from the recirculation of tailings when the corner inserts are removed. Others think the front precleaner is fixed too wide for beans and wheat, causing dirty samples.

TJ

Wilber, this is the way the fixed louvers on the front chaffer were explained to me. The grain is cleaner from the concaves than the separator, so that cleaner grain goes through to the front of the seive. That way all the sieve is used, front to back. The conventional deere has a 'precleaner' that passes grain to the grain tank directly. On the STS all grain must pass through the seive. Grain quality was very good the days I saw the STS work in edible beans and corn. usually operator adjustment related.

Wilber

TJ, Thanks for the explanation. Your last statement is right on.... that poor grain samples is "usually operator adjustment related" !!! It's already more difficult to set the STS since you can't see the tailings returns mix feeding back into the right side. How can a person really tell if it has too much chaff or too much grain or too much cob or whatever in itIJ Each situation, if identifiable, requires different component adjustments to correct. I have to admit, I'm also one of those operators who hates to stop and get off in order to make those last fine tune adjustments to the sieves. It would be nice to be able to tweak these on the run in stead state conditions and also compensate for field variations quickly when needed. I guess we should add the Caterpillar style electric sieve adjustment, full width grain loss sensor, tailings return inspection system and slope compensating 3D sieve to our wish list.