Combines Having trouble leveling concave in combine

Joeman

Darryl, It is unlikely that you have a problem with you cylinder and_or concave. What you are describing is common. And yes, the owners manual is a bit vague. But leveling the concave is the key to good performance-in that particular model especially. It can be a little tricky, but well worth the effort. 1: Check your cyl bars for wear. Rasp height should be about 1_4". Stick a wood pencil in between a rasp, the rasp should be higher. 2: lower the concave about 1_3 of the way, then bring it back up until you have 1_4" clearance between the concave and the highest bar (the one with the washer),when measured at the front right hand inspection hole. If you go too far, let it back down and start over, this is to eliminate the play in the linkage. 3: level the front of the concave by means of the adjuster on the front left side. You're still looking at 1_4". I know the book says 3_16, but trust me. 4: Remove the M16 bolt from the right rear adjuster eyebolt. Between the eyebolt and the side of the seperator is a cast spacer, about 1 inch by 2 inches. Take it out and throw it away. Put the M16 bolt back in. 5:loosen up the beater drive belt idler on the left rear adjuster. This is so you can get a socket on it. 6:Adjust the rear of the concave until you get about 1_8" clearance. 7:Re-set the concave stop on the front of the concave. 8:(optional) Go to house and relax in front of fan and_or air conditioner. Joeman

bh

Ok Joeman. You seem to have a fair amount of knowledge in this area. Is the procedure you described applicable to all 9500 or just small grain machinesIJ I really don't know if mine is a small grain combine or not. I have the two speed cylinder if that matters. I have wanted to level my concave, but the procedure seemed vague to me. To be honest, seems like a real pain in the arse too; taking two people obviously. What's the reason for getting rid of the cast spacerIJ I appreciate any help that you can give me since I am hoping to get this done this summer. Thanks, Billy

Joeman

Bill, This all started back in the day, along time ago...the glaciers just melted, dinosaurs roamed the earth, a 12 row planter was still considered big, there was no such a thing as Roundup Ready, Country Music sounded like it was supposed to, and 9000 series combines were new. 1989. It wasn't funny then, almost everybody who had one complained that they spit grain out the back. (Most of the time the word "spit" wasn't used. More often than not a flood-tip style spray of obscenities was used. I am still convinced that it melted more than one cell phone when used to complain to the dealer.) It was discovered that the grain coming off the walkers was unthreshed-at least until it got to the chopper. Meaning that the term "walker loss" was a misnomer.The walkers had been a victim of a conspiracy to ruin their reputation.They had been doing their job all along, the real guilt belonged to the concave. Now here's the real story, told for the first time. As the crop goes through the cylinder_concave, part of it is threshed. That means that the crop mat gets smaller as it goes through, so by the time it got to the back of the concave, the as yet unthreshed grain was not experiencing the pinching action neccesary to knock the grain out of the head and_or off the ear. (BTW, it's thresh, not thrash. Thrash is what you hear in an old movie, where an Englishman says,"Say old chap, if you don't cease that now, I shall be forced to give you a jolly good thrashing.") So we started to measure and found out that the concave drooped in the back. Our next step was to tighten up the back of the concave, make sure that it was level side to side, and voila, no more loss. In short, we gave it a wedgie. The manufacturer sent out a kit to install a curtain on the beater grate. The problem with that was that it didn't work. It cut the capacity because the operator had to run the beater grate in the up posistion, causing backfeeding, and in some cases,an ugly hole in the side of the combine where the beater grate adjusting bolt used to be. So check your grate to make sure it's down. But not until you get the curtain out. As for the cast piece on the right hand side concave adjuster, it is formed to keep the adjuster from moving. That means you could do anything you want with it, as long as you weren't planing on using that adjuster eyebolt for adjusting the concave or any silly notion like that. Once you get it apart you'll see what I mean. And no, I don't know what it's purpose is. It's sort of like an appendix. Two people working on ths project does make it easier, but it's not a neccesity. Getting the beater grate down is a different deal. The two speed cylinder (dual range drive) was designed to give you, the proud owner of a 9500, a wider range of speeds so that the variable speed belt did not run at one extreme or the other. It makes the belt last longer and the torque sensing feature of the drine more effective. It's a pretty good set-up, but it won't affect what we're talking about. It's just as important to adjust the concave if you have a small grain combine or a corn_soybean. All in all, you got a pretty good machine. I like to poke a little fun at it, but in reality it was designed by men that are a whole lot smarter than me. And you're right, it's a pain in the arse, but as Atticus Finch said: "There's a lot of ugliness in the world,son. I'd like to keep you from it, but that's just not possible." Joeman

tj

If you can't see both ends of a cylinder bar thru the viewports it's likely that the cylinder has a slight twist. 2 reasons for this -- (a) weld has failed on one of the cylinder spiders which is keyed to the shaft, allowing that spider to spin. (b) most likley, however, is that keyways in the shaft aren't milled in line and the keyed spiders are offset. Seen many with this keyway offset, and suggest it's nothing to worry about. Even though you remove the cast closures at the rear of the concave you'll probably need to lengthen the right hand adjusting slot toward the rear a little bit since the side sheets aren't mirror images.