Help with census

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I'm filling out my census sheet (late) and I'm not sure how to answer the race question. I'm used to selecting "white" and moving on. But now they want more info. I originally thought I should type out Caucasian, but googling set me straight on that. I'm not sure where my ancestors originated from. My great-great-grandparents were born in the United States and that's as far back as I can trace my family. Should I write "American" in the box? Is the default "English"?

Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
I think you're talking about the origins question and that one threw me for a loop too, Birdie. I don't know if it's right or not, but I clicked "white" and wrote "American" in the box. I noticed on the census instructions that the answer should be based on how you identify yourself. So, it's up to you. You also have the option to leave it blank. Per the instructions, "In the online questionnaire, if you select a box, but leave the origin fields blank, a message will appear at the top of the screen and the blank field will be highlighted in red. If you do not know this person's origin, click next again to continue completing your response."