Combines High repair costs

T__langan

I know where you're coming from Ed. We had to replace that shield around the upper feeder chain drive shaft that prevents stuff from wrapping on the shaft this summer. We are starting our 3rd season free of breakdowns, except for the auger vs. tree incident which we can't blame the combine. AGCO has really made great strides in the reliability of these machines (Then again, sounds like '94 is a year to avoid!)! Sure makes the harvest season a lot less stressfull when you aren't fixing all the time.

Tom_Russell

Ed, you might want to think about replacing the wire assy with a new one if it is anything like what is on l_M series machines. I found that repair eyelets came apart no matter how I crimped them. Finally I popped for a couple of bucks for a new wire and solved the problem forever. Those in-season breakdowns sure take the fun out of farming. I had an alternator belt on the R60 go south 2 years ago and got a clean shirt dirty working on it. Thats enough to ruin a guys whole day. Tom in MN

Ed_Boysun

Tom, luckily we don't have oak trees here. We just have to make do with utility poles and guy wires. The old style gleaners used to do battle with them. My dad hurt both his AII and CII jousting with them. My best friend's dad hooked a power pole with his F, backed up, put on a new auger, and promptly resumed his cut, only to find out that the pole was still there and none the weaker. Aaargh!

Ed_Boysun

Tom, The head wrench around here insists on soldering the connectors on. He maintains that flowing a little solder back up into the wire from the crimp joint keeps it from flexing and breaking again. But, I think you have a good idea, if grain prices get high enough, I may pick up a spare wire for next year. Sorry to hear about you having to work a whole day in a dirty shirt though. Did you remember to include laundry costs of the shirt in the combine repair categoryIJ

mo_farm

You guys are lucky, have put 27 hours on the seperator so far this year and repairs are already $506.78 looks like another long harvest ahead.

mo_farm

The biggest repair so far has been that the counter shaft on the header drive broke. Shaft and bearings $338.24 ouch! Also a short shaft and splined coupler on the corn head $127.18 and had to drive 140 miles to get them.

Tom_Russell

Ed, wicking solder into a stranded wire is a definite no-no in the govt supplier manual for new products. Maybe its acceptable for repairs. I dont know if the Chief Money Spender includes laundry costs under business expenses, but buying those shirts is deductible because they have my name on them.

Tom_Russell

Do you know what caused the breakageIJ Was it lack of grease, alignment, loose countershaft sheave, etcIJ Tom in MN

mo_farm

It looks like the previous owner replaced one of the bearings and did not put the locking collar on. Shaft must have spun in the bearing. thats the only thing I can figure because it broke right at the bearing, looked like the shaft got hot but the bearing was not out.