How should I go about finding a farmer to work for?

CanyonStieneke

CanyonStieneke

Hello, My name is Canyon, I am 15 and I am from Idaho. I am considering learning how to farm and going into that at some point. My Grandfather farmed for most of his life and I think that might be were my interest in it started. He is from Iowa so I don't think I could farm with him even if he was still farming today, so that is not an option of course. I live near Boise, and many subdivisions are being build on fields so there is less and less farming in my area. I have not been able to find any online places that I could use to find a Job doing that. I was thinking by next year I could drive to different farms in my area and just knock on doors at this point, but I don't know if that would be appreciated very much. Any suggestions?

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
Post an ad on Craig's List maybe? I believe there is a "work wanted" section. Other than that, I would say go to smaller communities and post want ads in the Post Office. Most of the one's that serve smaller communities have a board on the wall that you can tack hand written messages on.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Hello, My name is Canyon, I am 15 and I am from Idaho. I am considering learning how to farm and going into that at some point. My Grandfather farmed for most of his life and I think that might be were my interest in it started. He is from Iowa so I don't think I could farm with him even if he was still farming today, so that is not an option of course. I live near Boise, and many subdivisions are being build on fields so there is less and less farming in my area. I have not been able to find any online places that I could use to find a Job doing that. I was thinking by next year I could drive to different farms in my area and just knock on doors at this point, but I don't know if that would be appreciated very much. Any suggestions?
Contact your local cooperative extension, they'll not only help you find a farmer to work for, but they'll have courses, usually for free or very inexpensive, for people who want to learn about farming.

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
I was thinking about contacting your local cooperative extension too. They should certainly have information of who needs help. Does your school have a BOCES program? This would help you learn and give you a little experience.

CanyonStieneke

CanyonStieneke

I was thinking about contacting your local cooperative extension too. They should certainly have information of who needs help. Does your school have a BOCES program? This would help you learn and give you a little experience.
I am home schooled but I could look into that. Sorry for taking so long to respond I have been busy. Thank you for all the help all!

CanyonStieneke

CanyonStieneke

Hey thank you for the help all this is probably the best advice I have gotten so far! Sorry for taking so long. Have a great day!