I don't get spam

Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
I don't see the point in it. I don't get how it benefits the spammer (or more likely the bot networks owner) to spam forums and blogs with information that no one asked for or wants. Half the time it doesn't even have anything to do with the topic at hand. So, I find it hard to believe that anyone is really clicking those links and throwing money or personal information at whatever the spammer is hawking. And hey, if you try to sell me X product or Y service over and over again, I'm naturally going to assume that it's a scam and you're looking for easy marks. I'll also make the effort to warn my friends and loved ones about it. It just seems like a huge waste of time to spam other websites. It's the most inefficient way to advertise.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Spammers target my business website sometimes. It can be a real pain and I know how tough it is to fight spam without those mechanisms having unintended consequences. Too many rules and filters and it will limit the discussion and participation. No one wants that. I'm with you though, I don't see how spam benefits the offenders. Everyone knows to avoid clicking those links and spammers tend to be pretty obvious. It sure won't drive me away from here though. This is a fantastic community of knowledgeable, helpful, and open-minded people. That combo is hard to find.

Giselle

Farm Hand
I wonder if they use softwares to spread messages on different forums and website at the same time. It looks like to me it’s robotic. I am actually guessing they might have sent like thousands of messages from a few clicks and if they have responses from that, indeed their benefits outweigh their cost.

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
Spamming is pretty annoying indeed. they get smarter every time you update your system, just like a virus. I don’t get spamming too. To me it sounds like a waste of time.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
From what I observed, some certain types of websites get more spams than others. I don’t know if the web providers (if it’s what they are called) is also one of the factors as well.