Increasing ventilation in the coop

Birdie

Golden Chicken
It's been rainy and cold for the past two weeks and I'm concerned about the ventilation and humidity in the coop. I have the proper number of vents and the coop floor doesn't reek of ammonia, but when I check the humidity level it's quite high. Do you have any tips for increasing ventilation and decreasing the humidity? I'm beginning to think the deep litter method might be adding to the humidity problem.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Are your vents opened all the way? Is anything blocking them? Sometimes bugs try to nest in them, so it's good to check. You need air flowing in and air flowing out, so do you have vents at the bottom as well? You can use a product like DampRid or Ice Melt to remove the moisture in the air, but make sure your chickens can't get at it!

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Birdie, have you considered an exhaust fan?

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I'm beginning to think the deep litter method might be adding to the humidity problem.
If it's soaked, remove the soaked bits and add some dry on top. If it's just wet, then turn it (like compost) and allow it to dry out. The DLM can add to the humidity, but it shouldn't be enough to be a problem. Unless you see or smell mold, or see standing water or sweating walls, then you should be okay.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I added some DampRid to the corners of the coop. It hasn't collected any water yet though. I guess it just takes time. I appreciate all the suggestions! This is such a friendly, helpful forum.
Birdie, have you considered an exhaust fan?
I went to check them out and ran into the conundrum of choosing between an exhaust fan and a ventilation fan. The store employee wasn't sure which would do the trick. Which is better in this instance? Do I need both? Thanks for the help!

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Depends on your weather. How could is it? I don't know where you live. If you have a cold winter, I'd just use the exhaust fan for the winter.