Combines Is the new big Massey the old 9730 White

Harvester

Yes, the new big MF 9790 is based on the 9700 and 9720 White. MF acquired the White combines in the mid-80s. The 8590 was the same size as the White 9700_9720 and the MF 8560 was a new smaller size, the same size rotor used in today's 9690 and 9790. It was a great concept years ahead of its time, and now that the 9790 has enough hp to use the capacity of the systems on this machine, you can truly appreciate White for giving us one incredible machine.

TwinSilvers

We farm 65 miles north of Brantford, Ontario, which was where the 9700_9720 was engineered and built. I can attest that the 9790 and 9700_9720 are VERY similar. Differences between the two include the cab, horsepower, hydro driven rotor, and the reverser but the overall structure and concept of the two combines is very similar. We housed the "Massey twin" to the White rotary, which was earmarked the Massey TX903, at our farm for 2 years, and performance tests were conducted on our farm (along with many other farms) on the Massey prototype. Patent infringements prevented Massey from launching thier rotary, so they quietly waited for White to die, then bought the patents and tooling "for a song"! When Massey Combine Corporation went defunct, Vicon Mfg. and linamar Mfg. bought the patents and tooling and started Western Combine Corporation out of Portage laPrairie, Manitoba. In turn, AGCO Corporation bought the technology from Western Combine. I believe the original White 9700_9720 was powered by a 636 Perkins. The Massey 8780 is almost a "twin" to the White 9520 in design and capacity. I saw the 9700 prototype in action; - it was unbelievable in its day. An 8-row cornhead couldn't keep it full, but it seemingly lacked in structural strength. Extensive modifications were made between the time of an early-release 9700 to when the 9720 was introduced. I believe our local White dealer indicated that over 160 field changes were made during that time.

Greg

I don't believe the new big massey is really based on the 9720 whites. The 9700_9720_8590 had a 28 inch longer and 3.5 inch larger diameter rotor, which went right through the middle of the hopper. I belive it shares more in common with the 8560 massey than the 9700_9720_8590.

lee_W

The original No. for the smaller White rotary was 9320, I still have one of the orignal pieces of literature that was given out to us dealers. We still run a 9700 and 8590 same as the 9720 White. White was also testing the 9720 with the hydrostatic rotor drive when the combine business hit the fan.

TwinSilvers

The smaller prototype White was the 9500. One of the prototypes ended up in a salvage yard in Wallenstien, Ontario, Canada. The dealers name was Edgar S. Martin.

TwinSilvers

White was actually working on a Class 4 and Class 5 rotary, numbered the 9300_9320 and 9500_9520. They were to replace the 8720 and 8920!

AGCO_AllIS__MAN

Please post a link or picture of the 9320_9520 or whatever.I collect literature on white and have only a pieace of the 9720 literature but want to buy anything on white.I have all the new stuff on tractors from all the new 2-80 on up to the 4-270 and need everything from before that on down and would like all the tractor_white combine and tillage literature i can get.Wish i would have picked it up as a kid .If you have anythinf forsale email me a price and details to mickeymouse@bright.net Ps.Would like a full line pieace on white_mm_oliver in those brands colors of literature .