Combines John Deere 4400 Engine 329 Diesel with coolant in oil

JHEnt

Most likely the O-ring seals around the sleeve on at least one cylinder have started to leak. This is a common problem with any size wet sleeve Deere engine although it does usually does not occur under many thousands of hours of use unless the coolant has not been changed or like you have had happen an overheat situation. Normally if the radiator is clean and the coolant is good the 329 in a 4400 should hardly ever move just off of cold on the temp guage in the cab. I doubt if the block is cracked but your probily looking at least at a top end overhaul. That is sleeves seals and rings. It might be a good idea to have your radiator boiled out. You may have heavy scale deposits that are building up on the new thermostat and making it stick.

Deerebines

Before we dump to much money in this thing get some bar's leak and dump that in the radiator first. I don't know what to think about your sticking thermostat but you can pull it back out and drill a small hole through the flat spot on the side of it so it will always be letting some fluid through and help equal out the pressures some. How good is your capIJ We put bar's leak in a 706 with the german diesel one time that was putting antifreeze into the oil and that cured it of the problem......still rolling strong with over 7500 hours now....guesstimate because the hour meter broke a while back. WE guessed just as well that it was the o-rings in the sleeves getting weak and letting fluid bypass. I've seen a fellow take a 350 chevy with a leaking headgasket that was blowing antifreeze outside of the engine and sealed it up with bar's leak so this stuff as far as I'm concerned is the cat's meow for good fixes to keep going on equipment that would be a shame to put alot of dollars into fixing. Give er a try......You have nothing to lose except maybe 8 bucks at the very most. Take care

Thommo

Recently we experienced the same thing in our 9600. Check out the water pump. Because they have a breather hole that may become blocked and when it does it blows the seal letting water into the block. (i'm sure they could of come up with a better place for the water to go when this happens)If you want more info just e-mail me.

Deerebines

Just a lil bit off there Thommo. There is a hole there like you said but it is not a breather hole. That is what is called a weep hole so when the bearing and seal goes out the antifreeze has a place to escape instead of going into the engine. Being it's a combine more than likely they will get plugged from chaff and dirt but until the water pump goes south on you there's no "breathing" necessary for the water pump to work correctly or efficiently. Hope that clears it up some. Take care

JHEnt

Bars leak does work 50% of the time on headgasket leaks but if the engine has been overheated and nearly overheated several times then it is likely the sleeve seals are cooked. At best in this case Barsleaks is a temporary fix. Unlike a car or a loader tractor used yearround you only use your combine when the crops are ready to go. Considering you have all winter to get it done, if the machine is in good condition you are better off getting the engine fixed and not having the Bars leak break loose next summer in wheat season.

Deerebines

Why not use the bars leak now to get finished up with harvest and then fix the engine correctly this winterIJ It is already November you know.....crops should be in by now and I don't care what you are harvesting. Not to mention.....We are talking about a 4400....a combine that is worth less than a grand sitting on a dealers lot. Do you honestly think that engine can be overhauled for 20 percent of thatIJ Kinda defeats the purpose.........dumping more money in a machine than it's worth. Buy a 7700 and fix it and have a machine and get across the acres faster. You gotta punch the numbers...... Just my thoughts of course and worth what you paid for them.