Keeping farm animals cool

Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
it's already becoming blistering hot. How are you guys keeping your farm animals cool? My chickens are Long Island Reds, so they do okay in the heat, but their laying slows down somewhat. So, I've added a mister to their run to help cool them off when it's very hot. I thought about adding a kiddie pool, but I'm not sure they'd like that. These chickens free-range during the day, and they've never shown interest in our dogs kiddie pool.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
it's already becoming blistering hot. How are you guys keeping your farm animals cool? My chickens are Long Island Reds, so they do okay in the heat, but their laying slows down somewhat. So, I've added a mister to their run to help cool them off when it's very hot. I thought about adding a kiddie pool, but I'm not sure they'd like that. These chickens free-range during the day, and they've never shown interest in our dogs kiddie pool.
I keep fans placed all around all of my livestock barns. It usually keeps them cooler, I know because many of them like to stay in the barns when it's hot. I also make sure they have plenty of water and change the water often to keep it cool.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
The goats and dogs like playing with ice. I ice down the water as needed too. The dogs have a kiddie pool and I guess the other creatures could use it if they so desired. The dogs are allowed in the kiddie pool as a treat (they aren't outside only dogs). I freeze water in milk jugs and I put those about the property too. I see the animals lying near them all time. It cools them off. And of course, there's plenty of shady spots to get under too.
My chickens are Long Island Reds.
Ha, I call them that sometimes too. I've never heard anyone else do it though. My Rhode Island Reds are smart as they can be for the most part, but sometimes they'll be after a bug and will go absolutely nuts running in circles trying to find it once it jumps. Sometimes I have to throw them something to eat just to get that one bug off their minds.

Last edited:
Harmony

Harmony

Farm Hand
I put out extra watering troughs for our cows. I also fill plastic containers with water, and freeze them overnight. In the late morning when it starts to get hot, I take the plastic containers, and pop the ice out of them and put the ice blocks into the cows' troughs. It helps keep the water a little cooler. I also make sure all of our livestock have access to an adequate amount of shade.

Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
I have some big barn fans, but should probably pick up some more of them. I'm hoping it will rain soon and help cool things off.
Ha, I call them that sometimes too. I've never heard anyone else do it though.
I swear that my hens act drunk before roosting at night and in the morning when they first get up. The Long Island nickname just sort of stuck.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
Shade, fans and water. And when the pet dog gets hot, hose him off with the garden hose. They absolutely love to run around and dry off.

Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Farm Hand
We have a couple of livestock fans mounted in our barn. We let the cows out during the day, but if they wander back into the barn on their own, it's cooler in there than it would be without the fans. We also make sure to change their water out regularly and put down more water troughs for them.