Keeping pigs and goats fed through winter

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
We've been spending a small fortune on our goats and pigs since every animal eats more during the winter months. During the summer they graze and I supplement their diet with garden waste as well. How can I save on their feed during the colder months?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
This won't help you now, but next year towards August and September, plant some winter wheat and rye grasses for the goats. If your goats are still going out to pasture then they're probably finding clover and fescue to eat right now, so they're likely not 100% reliant upon feed. I don't have any experience with pigs, so I'm no help there. Growing up, I know my mom always saved kitchen/table scraps for the pigs, but I'm not sure what's safe and what isn't.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
I plant tons of alfalfa to help shore up my animals through the winter. When it comes to scraps, some states have strict laws about what is okay and is not okay to feed the livestock, especially if you intend to sell the livestock or parts of the livestock at any time. So, I'd check that first.