Laws and regulations

jack

jack

Farm Hand
Do you stay updated regarding the laws and regulations that apply to your farming activities? These change from time to time, so it helps to check with your State and EPA regional office regularly. Do you think getting legal consultation in such matters helps?

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
The bigger one gets the more they need a lawyer on retainer. From what I've seen, small famers would only cause small legal problems that you can just talk out with local authorities. The bigger you get, the more complicated things get and the more problems can surface, hence the need for a lawyer.

FarmEnthusiast

FarmEnthusiast

Farm Hand
The bigger one gets the more they need a lawyer on retainer. From what I've seen, small famers would only cause small legal problems that you can just talk out with local authorities. The bigger you get, the more complicated things get and the more problems can surface, hence the need for a lawyer.
I agree. It makes sense to have a lawyer on retainer when the business' turnover has room for it. Outsourcing also helps the farmer to pay more attention to their core responsibilities.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
This is one area that I would say we lack on. We aren't a huge farm so I have not really put much thought into it. I imagine we are missing out on government money but that is okay.

RuralFarm

RuralFarm

Farm Hand
This is one area that I would say we lack on. We aren't a huge farm so I have not really put much thought into it. I imagine we are missing out on government money but that is okay.
I don't think it is too late to gather more information. You can liaise with any local agricultural office for detailed information about the applicable laws and exemptions. There is a possibility of saving on cost in the long run.